Build a PC for my TV from laptop parts - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Build a PC for my TV from laptop parts

Hi all I'm new here as looking for some advice.

I don't know if I'm going to make myself stupid by asking this but is there a way I can build a small pc that I can connect via hdmi to my tv from my old laptop parts.

I have a Toshiba Satelite x205 and I absolutely love the thing. I dropped it last year and smashed the screen but couldn't afford to replace it. Since then I just plugged it into my tv via hdmi and it was brilliant I preferred it than having the laptop on my lap!

Now the power supply has gone bang and got to fork out £50 on a new charger for a laptop with no screen.

I've done a bit of research and seen a lot of people have been building their own HTPC's and they are fab and just what I'm after but can I buy a case and use all the parts from my beloved toshiba laptop and put into the case? I've looked at a couple of cases but confused where the hdmi out will come from? (I told you I'm a noob right?)

Any advice you can give me would be great.

I am a noob at this stuff but I really like the idea of doing this as a little project to fill my spare time.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Eden84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Build a PC for my TV from laptop parts

No if you want to power that laptop you'll need the charger or at least have a lot of knowledge in electronics engineering to fab your own charger. As to putting it in a case the laptop shell is the best place for it.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

So if I have an old tower with power supply etc is it not worth at least trying to move all the hardware from the laptop into the PC? Will it not work at all?
Old 02-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

No because a laptop motherboard is not the same as a desktop motherboard. You have no place to plug that PSU in. The laptop charger IS the laptop PSU. There is also no mounting points in the case to put that motherboard. You would have to chop it up then try and figure out how to output that 24pin to the AC input to the laptop.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok that kills my hope of a pretty cool project

Thanks anyway

Old 02-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

Literally the easiest and cheapest way is to get a universal adapter for your laptop. You can unplug and chop off the screen if you don't want to replace it. Gives you a slimline PC with an optional kb/mouse if you need it.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I did think about that. Sounds like the best idea.

Couldn't find a universal charger for it tho. It's a massive charger with 4 pin connector.

Any ideas where I can find one? I was googling all last night and cheapest I found was about £40 plus postage
Old 02-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

So then it uses the same charger as my laptop. Yup, gonna be rather hard to find a match for that. Still 50 vs a much higher amount to build a PC to do the same thing or the risk trying to modify an ATX PSU to work with that laptop.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yea Your right ill just buy a charger. Disconnect the screen and put it neatly in my tv cabinet and get a wireless keyboard and mouse. Then when I'm ready I'll try and build a htpc from scratch.

Thanks for your help