this build ok? its 3.2k in total

Status
Not open for further replies.
" i dont have to upgrade for a long time "

Then isn't that just another reason to go Opteron or X2?

Tyler1989 said:
" i dont have to upgrade for a long time "

Then isn't that just another reason to go Opteron or X2?

I agree with that one. why not just get one card and start with a good amount for your next upgrade/build. A 7800gtx 512 isn't going to amount to much soon enough. I remember my old 9800XT was pretty darn nice 1.5 - 2 years ago, now look where things are. go with one video card and a dual core cpu. whether you have $10,000 or $1500 that's just plain and simple what you should do.

yeah I would agree on getting an X2 or Opteron. future games will support dual core CPU's, so you will be more future-proof by getting one.
see, where the FX-57 wins, it wins by a little bit.
where the X2 4800+ wins, it wins by a lot.

besides, looking at newegg, the FX-57 is over $1000, where the X2 4800+ is under $800.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103544
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103558
you'll be doing yourself a huge favour getting a dual core CPU.

you should also be able to overclock it to at least 2.7GHZ

anyway, I'd go for a DFI NF4 Ultra-D motherboard. if you really want to go SLI anytime later (although I don't recommend it), you can mod it to an SLI-D, so you can run the cards at PCI-E 8X/8X instead of 2x/16x

do NOT get Corsair RAM. it is overpriced, underperforming RAM.
OCZ makes the best 2x1GB sets.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227219
$283 - $50 rebate

Stick with the ASUS mobo, currently it has matched DFI's highest overclock on XtremeSystems, it is the only AMD64 board with dual x16 PCIe lanes, it has silent chipset cooling, and it is just a very very good board. If you do get DFI, stay away from the expert, it has been on a killing spree lately:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82281

Also, I would get a dual core athlon 64 4800+ x2 or opteron 180. Don't get the x-fi elite pro, that is an insane wase of money, all it has are some more music production and recording options and different DACs. Get the fatal1ty fps. Also, if you're spending this much on you're PC, I would get a quality PSU to go with it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817703001

Everything else looks fine. Enjoy the video card. You may want to consider G.Skill or OCZ RAM if you are going to be overclocking.

bonehelm said:
thanks everyone :DD

well i will go with the 600W psu suggestion but sorry fx 57 is my favorite, so i am probably not going to change that one

well i just wanted to build a powerful pc to run games at highest settings so i dont have to upgrade for a long time

( im outta money after i buy this pc ) :(

If you dont want to upgrade for a long time, then get the X2 4800+, although now the FX-57 is beating it, but within the next 1-2 Years, pretty much all of the games will be optimized to run best with a dual core processor. Then the X2 4800+ will beat the FX-57 by quite a bit fps.

With the FX-57 Your gonna have to upgrade your processor to a Dual Core sooner or later, so might as well do it now.

003 said:
Stick with the ASUS mobo, currently it has matched DFI's highest overclock on XtremeSystems, it is the only AMD64 board with dual x16 PCIe lanes, it has silent chipset cooling, and it is just a very very good board. If you do get DFI, stay away from the expert, it has been on a killing spree lately:
yes, the expert seems to have problems. however, dual 16X lanes are useless ATM.
firstly, he's probabbly not going SLI.
secondly, 8X is more than enough bandwith for even a 512MB 7800 GTX. AGP 8X actually transfers less than a PCI-E 1X slot, and it doesn't bottleneck the 6800's. the 512MB 7800 GTX is about twice as good as the 6800, but in an 8X slot, has over 8 times the bandwith anyway.

plus, the Ultra-D board is a lot cheaper, and support for it is much better.

---------------

yes, Corsair RAM is fairly good quality, however it doesn't perform as well as Corsair would make you think. and it is overpriced.

---------------

BColes: no, a processor cannot overclock to dual core. either a CPU is dual core, or it is not

dual core means it has 2 physical processing units inside the one chip. that basically means 2 processors in 1.
the FX-57 is a single core CPU. while it is a bit faster than one of the X2 4800+'s cores, the power of both the X2 4800's cores combined is a lot more than the FX-57.

also remember that the X2's are basically dual core Venices or San Diego's
Venice's are revision E cores with 512kb L2 cache
San Diego's are the same with 1024kb L2 cache

Manchester's are basically 2 Venices in the one chip
Toledo's are basically 2 San Diego's in 1 chip

the FX-57 is a single San Diego core
the X2 4800+ is a dual San Diego (or Toledo)

You can OC a dual core processor to single core speeds, but you cant OC a single core processor to dual core speeds :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom