Build now or early 08?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nylax4

Baseband Member
For $800-1000 now you can get a nice mid-high end gaming set up. In early 2008 there will be even more options though with Intel's 45nm processors, the 8800gt to the market that can rip apart 8800gts' at a reduced price.

I think I might just wait until January and build a quad-core, 4GB RAM, 8800gt, P35 mobo then.

I'd say build now....if you plan on getting the new 45nm then get something cheap like a 2160 and overclock it to tide you over.

Also if you want 4gb then go for it now as DDR2 prices are at a record time low. I just loaded another 2gb in my machine and OMG vista flies! Instant response, and alt-tabbing out of games is fun hehehee.

Oh and regarding the 8800GT, that comes out next week buddy so there's no need to wait til 08

build now and upgrade to a new Yorkfield when it comes out:

get a cheap dual-core to hold u up... like the e2180 which overclocks like a brother from another mother... and then you can upgrade...

8800gt (5 days til the release.. and counting..)
Abit IP35-E
e2180
Tuniq Tower 120 (iyou don't need this for a Dual-Core, but it will be necessary for a hardcore quad-core overclocker)
2GB Crucial Ballistix ddr2-800 kit (u don't need 4gb unless you do CAD)
Coolermaster 690
Corsair 520
Seagate Barracuda 320gb

i disagree on the 2gb. Crysis will definitely show improvements with 4gb...and ET: QW does. Prices are so low at the moment that it would be a shame if you wanted another 2gb down the line and missed out on the excellent deals. (2gb of Geil 6400 Ultra Low Latency can be had at overclockers.co.uk for 37.59 quid.

..and i just picked up 2gb of Ballistix Tracer 5300s for 47 pounds shipped...had to loosen timings from 4,4,4,8 to 4,4,4,12 to get them stable but no biggy....they're happy to keep the same 922mhz clock

i disagree on the 2gb. Crysis will definitely show improvements with 4gb...and ET: QW does. Prices are so low at the moment that it would be a shame if you wanted another 2gb down the line and missed out on the excellent deals. (2gb of Geil 6400 Ultra Low Latency can be had at overclockers.co.uk for 37.59 quid.

..and i just picked up 2gb of Ballistix Tracer 5300s for 47 pounds shipped...had to loosen timings from 4,4,4,8 to 4,4,4,12 to get them stable but no biggy.

hmm... that maybe true... lemme see what the official requirements will be... but your hypothesis makes a lot of sense... plus its so cheap anyways :)

wait until 2009 when the 32nm's are out and the 10000GTX is on the market :D seriously tho, its really up to you but i personally would build now (actually i am building now). Computers are always getting outdated but I dont think you'll be dissapointed if you build now. You could do the 2180 jump to a Yorkfield but I cant see the point. An oc'ed Q6600 will run anything you throw at it and will do you great good. The point of building a system is to enjoy it and the current technology wont let you down :)

Anything you buy is going to be outdated tommorow, thats just how it is. Buy what you need and upgrade later. The only problem so far is that this crap gets addictive. No matter what you have, you always want more even when it really isnt needed.

IMO, wait for Phenom, 790X, n RV670 next month as they will hopefully cream Intel n Nvidia this time.

comes out at the same time late November next month!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom