Build a New Comp and Have a Question

SilentAirwalk

Beta member
Hello all! I am about to build a new computer and my current one is running windows 7 Home Premium. I was wondering if I could just literally take my 1 Tb hard drive and put it into my new computer so I don't have to redownload all my games and such, or is their an alternative way to not lose all my file? Sorry I'm pretty bad with hard drives and information recovery.

There's a 50/50 chance whether or not you would have licensing issues doing a direct swap like that. In other words, it could either work without a hitch, or you could just get constant BSOD in the new machine.

There's a 50/50 chance whether or not you would have licensing issues doing a direct swap like that. In other words, it could either work without a hitch, or you could just get constant BSOD in the new machine.
Not so much a licensing issue as it is a hardware profile issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7

If I do get BSOD is there any way to try and fix that or is it just a better bet to get a new HDD?

Like PP said, you'll just need to reinstall windows.

You can either:
a) Backup your data / format the drive / reinstall clean
b) Backup your data (not necessary but highly recommended) / Install "over top" of the previous install (don't format the drive and it will say a previous version of Windows was found and that the installer will move everything to C:\Windows.old) / then you can copy your personal data (documents, pics, music, etc.) from C:\Windows.old to their proper locations.

With either option, you'll still have to reinstall all of your programs, as you generally can't copy over programs.

If I do get BSOD is there any way to try and fix that or is it just a better bet to get a new HDD?

If you see the bsod error long enough right it down and google the bsod error code.
You should be able to figure out what is going on.
Hell it may not even be a hard drive issue.
Sometimes the installation of any windows media disc or usb you download or make can go sour and issue out bsod.

Just make sure you understand why its happening. :)

If you see the bsod error long enough right it down and google the bsod error code.
You should be able to figure out what is going on.
Hell it may not even be a hard drive issue.
Sometimes the installation of any windows media disc or usb you download or make can go sour and issue out bsod.

Just make sure you understand why its happening. :)

OP is talking about switching HDD over to new hardware and keeping his W7 install; which will either work or cause a BSOD and not work.

OP is talking about switching HDD over to new hardware and keeping his W7 install; which will either work or cause a BSOD and not work.

Your point ? he said what if I get a bsod during the installation.
To be honest we don't know when that might happen with his new components and it could be anything besides a hdd issue.

Thanks for understanding carnage.

Your point ? he said what if I get a bsod during the installation.
To be honest we don't know when that might happen with his new components and it could be anything besides a hdd issue.

Thanks for understanding carnage.

My point is you should read more than a few lines of a topic and make assumptions as to what info OP wants/needs, because you'll realize that he (at this point in time) is not having any issues and just simply asking about swapping his HDD over to a new set of hardware (you'll also see that he never stated anything about what if he gets a BSOD during install):

Hello all! I am about to build a new computer and my current one is running windows 7 Home Premium. I was wondering if I could just literally take my 1 Tb hard drive and put it into my new computer so I don't have to redownload all my games and such, or is their an alternative way to not lose all my file? Sorry I'm pretty bad with hard drives and information recovery.

Thanks for understanding, Mike.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom