Build me a Gaming Rig, Pretty please!:P

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanklock

Beta member
hey there, long time looker first time poster,
I am looking to build myself a new computer, from scratch. I want somthing, not to pricey, but is quick and will last me a long time, (3 years) I know this seems like a hard task, since that would require alot of money, but maybe somboyd out there knows an effective combination that I could use to create a gaming PC that will run all the lastest games and future releases.

my Current Rig is well, I'll let you decide.
x1 1gb pc 5300 ram
x1 512mb pc 2300 ram, the 5300 is not running at full capability, unfortunately.

Nvidia Geforce 5500

some random HD 7200 RPM 120gb
and a 2.8 ghz intel. p4

Ive been researching a bit more, AMD seems to be better, but more expensive. so I'm notsure waht to go with there, I would like a Nvidia card, but SLi seems to be the way to go, but SLi requires a special MOBO right?

If i get a new MOBO for that, chances are i'll have to buy a new soundcard too...

This is what i've come up with so far, but tis pretty expensive, maybe i can cut a corner somwhere...

Processor
Intel® Pentium® D Processor 930 <- is this good?

Operating System
Microsoft® Windows®
XP Home Edition

Memory
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 PC-4200 SDRAM 533MHz <- SD ram good?

Hard Drive
160GB 7200RPM SATA w/8MB Cache

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce™ 7600 GT 256MB DDR3 <- is this good?

Audio
Integrated High Performance 7.1 Audio <----Do i need 7.1?!

Hi There

I have just built on these specs; some people have suggest the Intel Conroe CPU (More expensive). But AM2 socket should give you room to upgrade in the future.

CASE: Thermal Take - Tsunami Dreams, Black, No Window
PSU: Seasonic S12 600W Silent ATX 2.0 Power Supply
MOBO: Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe, nForce 590SLI, (Socket AM2), PCI-Express, DDR2
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+, 2.4GHz, (Socket AM2) 1MB Cache
CPU FAN: Arctic Cooling, Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler
MEM: 2GB Kit DDR2, PC2-6400, CLS Un-Buffered Non-ECC DDR2-800 1.8V
HDD:2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA II 16MB Cache
GRAPHICS: Gainward GeForce 7900GT Golden Sample GPU 550MHz 256MB PCIE DVI VO
OPTICAL: NEC 16 x 16 DVD±RW Dual Layer Labelflash Re-Writer
Sony CDRW/DVD Combi Drive 52 x 32 x 16 x 52
FLOPPY: Sony 1.44MB Internal Floppy Drive
MONITOR: Samsung SM-940BF 19" LCD Monitor 2ms, 1280 x 102

Well, Am2 borads will let you expaned but It will be a while to do so. I sugest getting a e6400. It is less than the 4600 and better than the fx series stock. The oly thing is that you will need to spend a little more on the mobo so you won't lose money. Expect tyo spend 200 on a good mobo. Also don't get a 7900gt. Get a x1900xt but for a buget get a x1800xtx. Eventhing else that bindle sugested is great. What is your price range. What is the max will you go.

I built on a 7900GT as i hope to go SLI (when i earn some more pennies) the crossfire option didn't appear to be a viable optio not up and running in the same way as SLI. Motherboard selection also seemed limited. Though i believe AMD and ATI are merging or something like that so i expect this will change.

For a single card though Dr DMoney is spot on x1900xt is a very good graphics card. You could also consider the X1900GT (256MB 575MHz/1200MHz) if money is tight (cheaper than the 7900GT and it out performs it too)

At the end of the day anything you buy will be superceeded at some point (probably in 6months knowing my luck) and you will be cursing as everything you have just bought will be half the price you paid!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom