Build for a customer

Status
Not open for further replies.

shenvoid01

In Runtime
I just offered to build a computer for a customer. He is into making music with a little video editing and he is not computer literate. So here is what I had in mind. SO FAR

AMD Dual orTriple core processor
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor Model ADH5050DOBOX

AMD's are usually reliable, cheap, and last a long time from my experience.
There are not usually as overclockable as some of the intels but that's not an issue since he is not a true power user not to mention computer illiterate.

A compatible mother board with simple bios commands
ECS A780GM-A AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
A mid grade video card
ASUS EN8400GS SILENT/HTP/256M GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP
A superior sound card
M-AUDIO US41077 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound CardASUS EN8400GS

this is for starters... I'm just throwing around some ideas what do you think so far?

Dont go with AMD at this point unless its more for budget stuff. If its for editing then grab:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P - Solid motherboard and i know BongWizard recommends it as well.
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Core 2 Quad Q6600 - Great for video editing and design programs because they actually take full advantage of four cores.
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

XFX 9800GTX+ - This way he can use CUDA without buying a full 260GTX or something...
Newegg.com - XFX PVT98WYDFH GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Corsair XM2 800MHZ 2x2GB - 4GB is perfect for his/her needs.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Then grab yourself a Antec 300 and something like a CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX for the power supply.

Dont go with AMD at this point unless its more for budget stuff

even for budget intel usually has it covered ;) but ur right, i quadcore is good here.

you definitely want a nice soundcard which im sure he would have handled since he makes music. M-audio delta series is one of the best i think, im a bit out of date but last i heard they were great soundcards, and have good support for ableton live or reason etc.

since he prob wants to spend that least, change these components a bit, i would still stick with the q6600 but on a mobo like this, the UD3P is an enthusiast overclocking board that is truely no needed here.
Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q SE PLUS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

This way he can use CUDA without buying a full 260GTX or something...
he needs CUDA for what exactly?

thats a bit too expensive for sumone with no gaming needs, go with a cheaper 4670 or 9600gso, very good bang for your buck.

EDIT: i saw the little video editing part, in which case u could consider a better card but i dont think its worth it, a 9600gso should be sufficient with cuda for less then mild video editing.

he needs CUDA for what exactly?

EDIT: i saw the little video editing part, in which case u could consider a better card but i dont think its worth it, a 9600gso should be sufficient with cuda for less then mild video editing.
Was gonna say.. lol. And yeah, your right... 9600GSO. I was just thinking that most audio visual guys have two or three screens running on their rig. But now that i think about it a 9600GSO should be more than enough for even that.

And i disagree about the motherboard. I think he should still go with the UD3P. I think its worth the $30-$40. But then again, when people (like me) 100% need parts on a budget then you would be correct.

Aha! so Intel is where its at now... I figured as much.. can the customer connect musical instruments to the sound card what would he need to do that?

How about this mobo?
BIOSTAR P4M900M4 478 VIA P4M900 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU
Pentium 4 prescott 3.00GHz

for ram I was thinking something with a mid cas latency since it is not video oriented
how about it?

What budget are we working with? The p4's are ancient you should never pick one of them for a new build. That motherboard is also ancient the P45 or 780i chipsets are where its at unless were going I7 for the encoding abilities

well let's keep in mind A) he is not a power user B) He is not even computer literate C) he has a specific price range $600 or less. The focus is more on music soft ware and capabilities, sound speakers Since intels killin it right now, their processor seem to be the way to go but overclocking and videos are not necesarily part of the plans of use.

well let's keep in mind A) he is not a power user B) He is not even computer literate C) he has a specific price range $600 or less. The focus is more on music soft ware and capabilities, sound speakers Since intels killin it right now, their processor seem to be the way to go but overclocking and videos are not necesarily part of the plans of use.

Not when P4's were released ;)

Get these:

P35 Intel Board
Q6600 (I know it sucks, but its sufficient for him.. and its the cheapest of Intel's Quads
9600GSO
4gb DDR2
XtremeMusic

Vernongs X2 Dual Core (AMD Chip) can slaughter that P4.

Its not so much which company the chip comes from that makes it great it or not. It just so happens Intel is producing the best chips on the block recently. Like the WolfDales, Yorkfields, and Nehalem's.

When AMD was on top it was the San Diego's, Windsors, and Sparta's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom