build or buy.

hornedturtle

Baseband Member
I'm looking for a new pc and found a custom build site. Costs 3.3k Australian dollars with free shipping in aus. Would it be better to build my own pc and any tips on if this is a good build or not. Im a bit worried the 750w power supply might not be enough

Corsair Graphite 600T Gaming Case (VIPER System Chassis)
Corsair TX-750 80 PLUS Certified 750W Power Supply (Power Supply)
Intel Core i7 - 3770 3.4GHz/3.9GHz Turbo, 8MB Smart Cache, Quad-Core with Hyperthreading (Processor)
Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3 - SLI, Crossfire, SATA 6Gbps & USB 3.0 - 4 x PCI-E 16x Slots (Mainboard)
NirvTuning Level 2 - Up to 45% increase in Performance (CPU Overclocking)
Corsair Hydro H80 Closed-Loop Liquid Cooling (CPU Cooling)
Recon Fan Control and Monitoring System (Temperature and Fan Controller)
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws High Performance Low-Latency DDR3-1600MHz RAM (Memory)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 - Fully Direct X 11 Compatible w/ PhysX (Video Card)
240GB Corsair Force Series 3 F240 SATA III 6Gb/s SSD with Sandforce Controller (Hard Drive 1)
2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 7,200RPM 64MB Cache (Hard Drive 2)
2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 7,200RPM 64MB Cache (Hard Drive 3)
LG 24X Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) (Optical Drive)
LG BH12 SATA Blu-Ray Writer with Dual-Layer DVD/CD Burner (Optical Drive 2)
Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi© Xtreme Audio High Definition 7.1 Audio (Audio)
High Performance Gigabit Ethernet (Network Adapter)
802.11n WiFi Adapter (Wireless Network Adapter)
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (Operating System)

It is always better to build your own. I am not too knowledgeable on the building and even less regarding the higher price PC parts tend to cost in AUS... but I would definitely upgrade that GPU from a 660 to a 760 at least. They are the same price as a 660 TI over here.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with more info/suggestions ^_^

It is always better to build your own. I am not too knowledgeable on the building and even less regarding the higher price PC parts tend to cost in AUS... but I would definitely upgrade that GPU from a 660 to a 760 at least. They are the same price as a 660 TI over here.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with more info/suggestions ^_^
Agree with this. It's cheaper to build your own (as everyone will tell you). Also it's pretty fun finding the parts and actually building it + you generally become more knowledgeable.
If you are spending that much on a PC, I would personally want a better GPU. I've got the 560 and my whole build was around £1000. Obviously the 660 will be better than mine but I'd still want to upgrade it.

Definitely build, so you're not buying old parts or unnecessary parts. I would change that build to this.

Corsair 600t (Your personal choice)
Corsair TX-650 (650w is plenty)
Core i7 4670k
ASRock or Asus Z87 cheap motherboard (you don't need anything ridiculous)
You don't need to OC (although they were lying, you can't OC that 3770)
You don't need an H80, if anything the H60 is more than plenty
Don't really need a fan controller either
16GB of 1600MHz DDR3 is fine
GTX 760 or R9 280x
240GB Neutron GTX rather than Force 3 (newer tech than Force)
One single 4TB instead of a RAID setup
Optical drives fine
You don't need a ****ty sound card
The rest is fine too, although you might want to considering Windows 8.1 Pro x64.

I only put Asus because I think Aus doesn't carry ASRock.

Yes, just like everyone else is saying: build your own. I built mine for about $500 (American) cheaper than what it could have costed. All it takes is time to research, and skills to physically build your computer. Do not try installing liquid-cooled cooling system if you have not done it before. Especially on a nice machine. Practice on a POS machine you can quickly put together a few times until you are confident about it. My buddy ruined most of the components on his machine and I was there to watch the aftermath haha...

Yes, just like everyone else is saying: build your own. I built mine for about $500 (American) cheaper than what it could have costed. All it takes is time to research, and skills to physically build your computer. Do not try installing liquid-cooled cooling system if you have not done it before. Especially on a nice machine. Practice on a POS machine you can quickly put together a few times until you are confident about it. My buddy ruined most of the components on his machine and I was there to watch the aftermath haha...
AIO units are pretty much fool proof when it comes to it. My mom knows nothing about computers (barely knows how to use one) and I put the parts to an H50 in her hand and asked her if she could figure it out. She said well, it's obviously very simple. Best experiment ever lol. :cool:

But to the first part, that's why I take the time to try and post on each build or upgrade here. Not only have I done all the research for the best parts for the money, but I also like to try and educate those who want to learn on why I chose specific parts.

Back
Top Bottom