build-a-box ? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2017, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default build-a-box ?

i have this overwhelming desire to build a computer case from wood. i can ask my father in law about my questions with the wood itself, like how much it will move with humidity changes, or what finish to use. but i also have electrical questions. i have noticed that every mobo has bare metal lugs in every mount hole. i have to wonder if these are a means of grounding the board (using the chassis as a means of ground), or if they have another specific purpose, like getting rid of static electricity. i know that this has been done before, i am wondering if there are specific things that i need to build in to the case. or other special features i need to design into the case internals.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: build-a-box ?

They are used as an extra ground layer but also to rise the board over the bare metal to keep from shorting.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
The strange one

Thats a cool idea. Get a (wood) router to route the edges for a nice finish and some rich stain and make a rustic looking computer case with cut-outs for lights/fans. I think that would look badass.

Would be heavy af... but badass lol

iParanormalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

I've seen pics of some really nice handmade wooden cases. Be sure to post a build thread on it.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru

The only problem with wood cases would be the massive amount of heat soak.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
The only problem with wood cases would be the massive amount of heat soak.
i don't see a problem with that. there will be lots of air moving thru the case. and ample clearance for heat generating items.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
The strange one

Its unforseeable exactly where the issue would be but there would be a bit of a risk of a grounding issue

iParanormalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Its unforseeable exactly where the issue would be but there would be a bit of a risk of a grounding issue
in 40 years of working on sometimes quite old, and many times quite neglected power sports vehicles, i developed a system for dealing with intermittent / bad / non-existent grounds. it ensures grounding throughout the vehicle. it would be easily adopted to this type of project, its just adds to the cost and time of building the computer. but it is not at all "expensive" compared to the price of the components it may protect. in very simplistic terms, i provide a new and proper ground to connect all the components, chassis, battery, and stator with one new extra ground wire that physically connects all of it. the only thing that i have found that this would not fix was one amphibious atv vehicle that ran a separate heavy gauge ground wire to the electric starter motor (rather than depending on the engine to provide the ground), in which the o.e.m. cable had corroded almost in half. my new wire burnt to a crackly crunch in about 2 seconds once the starter button was pressed. but it lead me directly to the problem. so it doubles as a self diagnosis tool as well. i will just have to study the mother board circuitry to find where i can connect the wire to, that will connect to a black wire coming from the psu.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Build Guru

Either way I'm all for custom stuff, let's see it!

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Either way I'm all for custom stuff, let's see it!
well, hold those horses back a bit, i am still in the planning stage. i have an image in my head, but i have not even made a drawing yet. plus i have to have surgery in 2 weeks, then 6-8 weeks of recovery time. this will end up being a late spring project. but i will post pics as i get started.