build-a-box ?

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
i have this overwhelming desire to build a computer case from wood. i can ask my father in law about my questions with the wood itself, like how much it will move with humidity changes, or what finish to use. but i also have electrical questions. i have noticed that every mobo has bare metal lugs in every mount hole. i have to wonder if these are a means of grounding the board (using the chassis as a means of ground), or if they have another specific purpose, like getting rid of static electricity. i know that this has been done before, i am wondering if there are specific things that i need to build in to the case. or other special features i need to design into the case internals.

Thats a cool idea. Get a (wood) router to route the edges for a nice finish and some rich stain and make a rustic looking computer case with cut-outs for lights/fans. I think that would look badass.

Would be heavy af... but badass lol

I've seen pics of some really nice handmade wooden cases. Be sure to post a build thread on it.

The only problem with wood cases would be the massive amount of heat soak.

i don't see a problem with that. there will be lots of air moving thru the case. and ample clearance for heat generating items.

Its unforseeable exactly where the issue would be but there would be a bit of a risk of a grounding issue

Its unforseeable exactly where the issue would be but there would be a bit of a risk of a grounding issue

in 40 years of working on sometimes quite old, and many times quite neglected power sports vehicles, i developed a system for dealing with intermittent / bad / non-existent grounds. it ensures grounding throughout the vehicle. it would be easily adopted to this type of project, its just adds to the cost and time of building the computer. but it is not at all "expensive" compared to the price of the components it may protect. in very simplistic terms, i provide a new and proper ground to connect all the components, chassis, battery, and stator with one new extra ground wire that physically connects all of it. the only thing that i have found that this would not fix was one amphibious atv vehicle that ran a separate heavy gauge ground wire to the electric starter motor (rather than depending on the engine to provide the ground), in which the o.e.m. cable had corroded almost in half. my new wire burnt to a crackly crunch in about 2 seconds once the starter button was pressed. but it lead me directly to the problem. so it doubles as a self diagnosis tool as well. i will just have to study the mother board circuitry to find where i can connect the wire to, that will connect to a black wire coming from the psu.

Either way I'm all for custom stuff, let's see it!

well, hold those horses back a bit, i am still in the planning stage. i have an image in my head, but i have not even made a drawing yet. plus i have to have surgery in 2 weeks, then 6-8 weeks of recovery time. this will end up being a late spring project. but i will post pics as i get started.

Back
Top Bottom