Build advise/Improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

overmyhead

Solid State Member
First build. Was giving this build list in another post. It looks good to me, but with my knowledge base that means nothing. I will use this for general everyday use, as well as casual gaming. Improvement ideas? Anything that I will regret not doing in a few years? Easy room for improvement in the future? Thanks

CPU: $230 Intel i5 2500K
MB: $160 Asus P8P67 (REV 3.1)
RAM: $42 8GB Mushkin Blackine 1600/CAS9
HDD: $110 750GB Hitachi Deskstar
ODD: $20 Sony Optiarc 24x DVD/CD Burner
GPU: $240 MSI GTX 560Ti
PSU: $70 Corsair CX600 V2

looks good, but if you plan to overclock the cpu and im assuming you are as its the K version id get a aftermarket heatsink

You never heard of Mushkin, Taylor? They used to be very hot in the SDRAM days. Not that they're bad now, but they have a lot of competition these days. With G.Skill, Corsair, etc.

My suggestion is don't use newegg. Go for ncix and pricematch it with egg and/or directcanada
+1, I use Newegg mainly for the ease of finding components. Always a good idea to shop around for the best price.

I suggested these parts because they were the best available at the time to keep you under budget and still do what you wanted.
That being said, even over the course of 4 days things can change.

MB: $150 MSI P67A-GD65 (B3)
$10 less up front, lose the $15 rebate. Get a faster 2nd PCIe 2.0 slot which is nice if you ever decide to run a 2nd GPU.
RAM: $45.5 G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600/CAS9
The Mushkin was cheaper at the time, now its up to $46.5, either is a quality choice.
PSU: $55 Antec NEO ECO 520w
The Corsair dropped to $65, so the Antec is $10 cheaper up front but you miss the $20 rebate and need to get a power cable for it.

Point is, things like price and availability will always be fluctuating, gotta just stop at some point and pull the trigger.

Also, need to decide on a case :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom