Build the absolute best computer possible...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro2a

In Runtime
This is more of a game to see what is the absolute best PC you could build using the best parts available today assuming you had unlimited funds. There are stipulations though...

1. Money is no object.
2. The parts have to be commercially available (no military parts, servers etc...)
3. Must be a desktop PC you'd use at home.

See what you can come up with :smile: Have fun.

Here is mine:
Motherboard - X58 3-Way SLI Motherboard - EA
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 x2 for a total of 24GB
CPU - Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz
GPU - 1.5GB HydroGen GeForce GTX 480
PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower W0133RU 1200W
HDD - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD1-2VTX120G 1.8" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (x2)
Case - Thermaltake VL200L1W2Z NVIDIA Edition Black and Green Lining ATX Full Tower Gaming Computer Case

I'm looking at about $1400 for all this not including the monitor, keyboard, mouse and other peripherals and the DVD/Blue-Ray drive.

you'll need one of these

hammer_hand.gif

to force that cpu into that motherboard's socket :p

you're also going to need some

facts_clip_image001.jpg

among other things, that gfx card isn't going to cool itself down ;)

just go to newegg and sort every part by highest price, that's basically what everyone's list is going to look like.

Why would you use an i7 860? Plus you have an 1156 chip in an x58, aka 1366, mobo.

Frankly your build sorta, if it did work, kinda sucks. Out of curiousity, did you meran a i7 980X?

You bought a 3 way sli board and onloy 1 card... again wasted money onm a tri sli..... Plus you have 6 sticks of ram... I think that kills the triple channel thing..

Edit

Muffin beat me, as i got side tracked looking for a mobo for a couple of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115064

Man, the folding i could do!

You don't need a tri-SLI board if you're only using one graphics card. Look at either the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R or ASUS P6X58D, both are good X58 motherboards that aren't terribly expensive but perform very well. As for that graphics card, it comes with a water block, that GPU is designed for water cooling only so you'll need a water cooling setup to use it. I'd recommend just buying an air cooled graphics card (either GTX480 or RadeonHD 5970 or 5870) unless you want to sink a lot of money into a full water cooling loop.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to get 24GB of RAM. That's obnoxious, stupid, expensive, and pointless all in one. Most motherboards work best with 2GB DDR3 sticks for either 6 or 12GB total. I have 6GB and it's plenty even for the toughest games. The only reason for more is if you plan on doing heavy content production (video editing in HD, editing large CAD or 3D model files, photoshopping huge images with many layers, or running several virtual machines at one time). Focus on fast RAM not lots of RAM, fast RAM will definitely improve your gaming performance. Save some money, get a $160 6GB triple channel kit, and save the rest to buy a second graphics card or something that is beneficial for gaming. Another thing you could do with that $300 is build a full water cooling loop which would let you overclock your CPU and GPU pretty well.

time to start saving up :D

cpu (x2)
Newegg.com - Intel Xeon X5680 Westmere 3.33GHz 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Server Processor BX80614X5680

cpu cooler (x2)
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
or if those won't fit, not sure, then this (x2)
Amazon.com: Thermalright TRUE Copper - Processor heatsink - ( Socket 775, Socket AM2, Socket AM2+, Socket AM3 ) - copper: Electronics

board
Newegg.com - EVGA Classified SR-2 (Super Record 2) 270-WS-W555-A1 LGA 1366 Intel 5520 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HPTX Intel Motherboard

ram (x2)
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL6T-6GBPI

gpu (x2)
SAPPHIRE 100280-4GTXSR Radeon HD 5970 TOXIC OverClocked (OC) Edition (11165-01-50R) 4GB GDDR5 PCI Express x16 (2.0v) Video Card Retail at ZipZoomfly

case
Lian Li Industrial Co., Ltd.

psu
Newegg.com - EVGA Classified SR-2 100-PS-1200-GR 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

hdds; OS
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTX200G 2.5" 200GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
another for programs/games/etc.
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTX200G 2.5" 200GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
and maybe another just for storage
Newegg.com - OCZ Colossus LT Series OCZSSD2-1CLSLT1T 3.5" 1TB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

and an optical drive, lets make it x2 just for the heck of it
Newegg.com - LITE-ON 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner with 3D PlaybackiHBS212 LightScribe

then maybe a fan controller
Newegg.com - NZXT SEN-001LX Sentry LX Aluminum dual bay fan controller

and maybe a custom case mod by mnpctech
Mnpctech.com Ordering Policies (Domestic and International)

and lots of zip ties :p
Amazon.com: Thomas&Betts 6" Black Nylon Cable Zip Ties 1000 pc

and then whatever else i can think of later :D

Go onto the Sun Microsystems website. You can put together servers costing upward of $2 million, IIRC :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom