buffer on a HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syphanx

Daemon Poster
Ok so here's the deal,
At the moment I've got a 40gb MAxtor HDD running at 7200rpm and has an 8mb cache. In a few weeks im getting a 250gb Seagate HDD running at 7200rpm but however has a 16mb cache, both are ata133 drives.
Does the 16mb cache make it faster (and will i notice the difference) or is it just necessary because it has a larger capacity?

Thanks.

the 16mb cache makes it faster, i noticed a big difference from my 250gb 8mb cache and my 250gb 16mb cache.. huge difference in load times.. glad i made the purchase

That's probably why it's heaps faster then, ill only be running ata133, as my current motherboard doesnt support sata, is there a real big difference in load times between a sata/2 and an ata133 HDD?

Another quick question,
Is there a massive difference between the speed in SATA and ATA133 drives? As in Load and boot speeds.
Or is it so marginal that it's not noticed?

The reason I ask this is because I was thinking that I can get an Asrock mb which supports both pci-e and agp, but i need a new hdd asap, so i was going to get a 250gb, but deciding if i should wait till i get a new mb so i can get a sata one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom