Budget personal computer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-26-2013, 03:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 89
Send a message via AIM to cwuarre
Default Budget personal computer

Hello Tech-Forums,
I have decided to build a nice and affordable computer for my father's birthday coming up in a couple weeks with the knowledge I have gained here, assuming I sell him on custom built vs dell (he is concerned about a lack of tech support). He currently uses a 10+ year old dell desktop for personal home use, which consists of excel spreadsheets, movie trailers, web browsing, e-mail. The only thing he appears to be concerned about is getting an SSD and he mentioned a sound card, but he uses relatively cheap wireless usb headphones for as long as I can remember; therefore I question the purpose of the sound card.

Anyway, this is the makeshift build I put together. He hardly uses any storage so I think the 128 gb ssd with his current hdd should be good.

Edit: for whatever reason cannot get the wishlist to work
COOLER MASTER Black Steel body / Plastic + Mesh bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
ASUS 24X DVD Burner
ASUS F2A55-M LK PLUS FM2 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RS600-PCARE3-US 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory
AMD A8-5600K Trinity 3.6GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7560D
OCZ Vector Series VTR1-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC
__________________

cwuarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Sean W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Claremont CA.
Posts: 2,095
Default Re: Budget personal computer

we cant see your you personal newegg wish list...
__________________

__________________
Modded Raidmax Hyperion Case
MSI Z97M Gaming
4770K
16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Sean W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Hefemeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 9,093
Default Re: Budget personal computer

Create a public wishlist.
EggXpert - How to create a public wishlist [guide]
__________________
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Hefemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,287
Default Re: Budget personal computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwuarre View Post
Hello Tech-Forums,
I have decided to build a nice and affordable computer for my father's birthday coming up in a couple weeks with the knowledge I have gained here, assuming I sell him on custom built vs dell (he is concerned about a lack of tech support). He currently uses a 10+ year old dell desktop for personal home use, which consists of excel spreadsheets, movie trailers, web browsing, e-mail. The only thing he appears to be concerned about is getting an SSD and he mentioned a sound card, but he uses relatively cheap wireless usb headphones for as long as I can remember; therefore I question the purpose of the sound card.

Anyway, this is the makeshift build I put together. He hardly uses any storage so I think the 128 gb ssd with his current hdd should be good.
Can't say anything until we can see a public list, but I can tell you if he uses a USB headset then a sound card is totally bypassed.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 89
Send a message via AIM to cwuarre
Default Re: Budget personal computer

99% sure I made it public last night, I saw the box checked that said shared. Even made sure I could view the link once I logged out of new egg. Now I cannot even log in to my newegg account... wtf

edit: I am so thoroughly confused as to what just happened. Once I finally logged in the wish list was marked with the green check mark under shared. Still wouldnt open outside of my account, so then I switched it back to private, then public again. At this point I am positive that the wishlist is checked under shared but I cannot find it when I logout and try to search the public wishlist.
Showed my brother the issue and we both concluded that "the site is f----- up"
cwuarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 95
Default Re: Budget personal computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwuarre View Post
99% sure I made it public last night, I saw the box checked that said shared. Even made sure I could view the link once I logged out of new egg. Now I cannot even log in to my newegg account... wtf

edit: I am so thoroughly confused as to what just happened. Once I finally logged in the wish list was marked with the green check mark under shared. Still wouldnt open outside of my account, so then I switched it back to private, then public again. At this point I am positive that the wishlist is checked under shared but I cannot find it when I logout and try to search the public wishlist.
Well I'm not entirely sure what's gone on there.. But there aren't really that many components to a Computer, so if you can try and remember the parts you chose, just go back onto Newegg, select the parts and edit your post so people can review them. If you want I'm sure I or somebody else can even link them From Newegg For you. Or even better, if you was to share the budget that you're working with I'm sure we can try and possibly put a better rig together For you.
MrTechProWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 89
Send a message via AIM to cwuarre
Default Re: Budget personal computer

Edit: I have posted links to each items on the first post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechProWannabe View Post
Well I'm not entirely sure what's gone on there.. But there aren't really that many components to a Computer, so if you can try and remember the parts you chose, just go back onto Newegg, select the parts and edit your post so people can review them. If you want I'm sure I or somebody else can even link them From Newegg For you. Or even better, if you was to share the budget that you're working with I'm sure we can try and possibly put a better rig together For you.
Do not mean to sound rude, but I am completely aware of this. Thank you for the help though Wannabe.

Hefe, I understand what you meant but I dont think its the url that is creating the issue because if I search newegg's public wishlists it is no where to be found.
cwuarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,287
Default Re: Budget personal computer

This issue is why we just list off parts instead of linking lists because it can be a royal pain.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 95
Default Re: Budget personal computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwuarre View Post
Do not mean to sound rude, but I am completely aware of this. Thank you for the help though Wannabe.
Hefe, I understand what you meant but I dont think its the url that is creating the issue because if I search newegg's public wishlists it is no where to be found.
Well that's too bad, as Far as I'm aware you're the only one having that kind of issue. Since it is possible to make a public wishlist try creating a new Newegg account and starting over. But if you're completely aware then why not do it? You can call me whatever you want, despite the Fact that at the end of my username is the word Wannabe, don't think I don't know what you mean't. And if you're going to be rude, not just to me, I'm honestly not that Fazed by people's thoughts, but don't expect people to help you if you're going to have that kind of attitude.
MrTechProWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knowitall!
 
strollin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: N. Calif.
Posts: 632
Default Re: Budget personal computer

For the stated uses of the computer, this build is way overkill. No need for 8G of RAM, no need for ssd, no need for a 600W PS, no need for sound or video cards, integrated sound and video would be more than enough.

Personally, if it were my dad, I would steer him toward a netbook or even a tablet both of which would be able to handle the stated tasks and would show a performance improvement over his existing 10 year old desktop.
__________________

strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.