Budget gaming rig for around $900?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoopla

Beta member
I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section or if this is asking too much, but I wanted to know if anyone could recommend me a decent gaming rig set-up for about $800-900 (OS, Cases, and possibly a monitor too if you could work it but if not I have an older one that I can use.) I live in the US and generally use Newegg for parts shopping so if you find parts on there that would be fine, but if you find good hardware on another that can ship to the US, thats fine too. I'm also sorry if that this post is a bit short too, I'll be checking in later if you need more information. :D

P.S.

I have an older rig from 3-4 years back (AMD Athlon 3700+) if I wanted to take change the processor out how would I go about cleaning the heat sink and processor? :confused:

your not gonna get too good of a computer for 900 if you need a os and monitor

as for cleaning us a air duster to clean off dust and use rubbin alcohal to clean off thermal paste

A decent screen and OS would be about $300. And you can get a decent computer for $600. I'm at work so I can't get links but you could get like a pentium e with a gigabyte ds3 or a amd x2, a ati 3850, 2gb of ram (depending on sales ocz or if you can afford it crucial ballistix), ~400gb hdd, Hiper or FSP psu, and then cheap other stuff.

thats an expensive power supply and case for a budget where he needs to buy a monitor at least. I say buy a monitor but just get a free copy of XP for now since it's the best for gaming. espeically on a lower budget. Also

Go with an RP500 or 550 and a centurion case to save money but still have good parts.

I suggest ram such as this as well if you don't like the MIR of the ballistix/
Newegg.com - WINTEC AMPX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

That is still really good ram and all you need for an E2xxx or E4xxx series CPU which is what I highly recommend for your build.

I made a build that consists of

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 532 RC-532-SKN1 Black Aluminum bezel, SECC chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Newegg.com - XFX PVT88PYDF4 GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Newegg.com - Rosewill RP500-2 ATX12V v2.01 500W Power Supply 115/230 V CSA, UL, TUV, FCC - Retail
Newegg.com - WINTEC AMPX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail
Newegg.com - Hanns·G HW-191DPB Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 Built in Speakers - Retail

The total came to $840 without an OS and that can be overclocked to a power machine with 14000+ most likely on a 3Dmark06 score....

You said around 900 so after shipping that gives you another 40 bucks or so to upgrade the hard drive space, get a better CPU, or case etc.

Thank you for all of your responses everyone! I've scanned through the thread and I think I'll go with one of the pre-built rigs post by maroon1 and smashedpumpkin. They seem to be in the right price range after adding up the cost of the OS and shipping. So which PC seems like the better value between

Newegg.com - iBUYPOWER Gamer 912TZ Core 2 Quad Q6600(2.40GHz) 2GB DDR2 500GB NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT Windows Vista Home Premium - Retail

and

Newegg.com - iBUYPOWER Gamer 512-FR Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 2GB DDR2 500GB NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT Windows Vista Home Premium - Retail

Oh, and thank you stalin90 for the AMD processor info!

*Edit: Had to fix the second link!*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom