Budget Gaming PC - What do you think? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2011, 02:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Budget Gaming PC - What do you think?

Hi there, I'm looking to build a gaming computer, but I don't want to go all out on crazy pieces of hardware that aren't currently necessary. I have compiled a list of hardware I'm hoping to buy, with some exceptions made due to me already owning some parts. So far, this is my list:
(compiled from newegg.ca, and any help would preferably come from newegg.ca instead of newegg.com)

Motherboard : MSI NF750-G55 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI HDMI ATX AMD
CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX
GPU : EVGA 01G-P3-1366-RX GeForce GTX 460 SE (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
RAM : G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT

Without the power supply I'm looking at roughly $345 CAN.

I have no idea what power supply I should get as I don't know how much power I will need. Any suggestions?

I always see people maxing games out at insane resolutions over 1080p, but I myself have an old 19" flatscreen that I havn't used in a year that will suit me well. For gaming at a resolution of 1440 x 900, would this setup be good for maxing games out? I currently play Crysis 1 & 2 at lowest settings on my laptop with unbarably low frame rates. Would this setup fair well with modern games such as Crysis?

Along with the monitor, I have a very sturdy Antec case, but it weighs a ton and it takes me a while to assess the motherboard due to having to unlock and slide out the heavy door. Should I just get myself a new case with a window? It seems more modern to me, and if recommended, would this be good?

Finally, should I look for a different GPU given the resolution and quality preference? I was hoping to SLI the GTX 460 in the future, but if there is anyway to increase the performance for less than the cost of 2 GTX 460s, I'm all ears.

Thank you very much for your time.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Resident Nightowl
Default Re: Budget Gaming PC - What do you think?

since you are in Canada, why not try NCIX?
they have some great deals sometimes.

NCIX.com - Buy Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 4GB 2X2GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit - Mushkin Enhanced - 996768 - in Canada

NCIX.com - Buy NCIX Gaming Bundle Deal AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor & Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 USB 3.0 Motherboard - Bundle Deals - 955&GA-990XA-UD3 - in Canada

NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-600CXV2 600W ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan *3 Year Wrty* - Corsair - CMPSU-600CXV2 - in Canada

+$4.99 GROUND SHIPPING (For the Entire Order)!

it's hard to match a video at that price since it's re-certified.

this one comes close to match the price if you can bear to wait for the rebate, has lifetime warranty when registered within 30 days, and better performance, plus it comes with a free game.
NCIX.com - Buy XFX Radeon HD 6850 Limited Edition 775MHZ 1GB 4.0GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI Display Port HDMI PCI-E Video Card - XFX - HD685XZNFR - in Canada

Free Dirt 3

Old 07-19-2011, 02:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Budget Gaming PC - What do you think?

Thank you very much for the response friend;

I completely forgot about NCIX. Thanks for linking me to these parts. I believe this is exactly what im looking for. Also, it's funny that you linked me to that XFX 6850, because for the past few hours I've been doing some research on it, and BAM you linked me to it. I believe im sold on this.

If anyone else can provide input, I'd gladly appreciate it.
Closed Thread