Budget gaming build - Page 6 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:51 PM   #51 (permalink)
The Bulldog

Default Re: Budget gaming build

Yeah overclocking the gpu in software is fine, that's the only way I know how anyways.

But overclocking the cpu should be in BIOS only.

ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
Old 03-21-2009, 03:32 AM   #52 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
I had the same problem, you have to enable it int he manager.
Open up the realtek HD audio manager (shoudl be on the taskbar) on the right there is a panel that says analog, you will notice what looks like a folder. Open it. There check the option to disable the front audio port, I know it seems counter intuitive but it works.

As for overclocking, NEVER use applications to do it. The only time that is ever recommended is when you are going for an absolute WR and you are past the point of boot stable. Otherwise always use the BIOS. We have a guide here in the hardware section, its a little out of date but the lessons still apply.
Ahhh yep that did the trick. Front ports work fine now. Thanks a lot! You guys are awesome with all the help and advice.

I'll take your guys advice and start using the BIOS instead. I don't know much about overclocking other than the E8400 is supposed to be super easy to OC. I'll do some reading up on it and figure out how to do it.

As far as OC'ing the GPU, how do I know what's safe and what's not? Just play with the settings until I run into crashing/heat problems? I'm a little hesitant to mess with those levels much since the card cost so much, especially if it doesn't give a big performance increase. On the other hand while playing with the manual fan settings in the Catalyst center, I found that's where pretty much all my fan noise is coming from. This card is LOUD.

One other question, what's a good free temp monitoring program? I've been using Speedfan today but I seem to remember reading that Speedfan wasn't that accurate? I don't know whether to pay attention to TEMP1 or the individual Core temps. It doesn't give me much info on what's what.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:26 AM   #53 (permalink)
Banned

I suggest that u use your computer the way it is for a few days , play some games ,

and get used to it. After a week or longer , when you're "bored" of your performance,

then overclock the CPU. You'll see a major increase in performance immediately , and

then you can really appreciate it:happy: Then when u get bored again , if u feel bold ,

you can overclock the GPU Just take small steps. I advise against using the

CCC "Autotune" function. Just move the slider a little manually , hit "apply" and test

it. Have fun with it!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #54 (permalink)
The Bulldog

Overclocking the gpu is super easy, just choose your favorite program (ati tool, rivatuner etc) or use the utility your video card comes with, either Catalyst or Nvidia control panel and just adjust the sliders and game. if you get artifacts in game then you pushed it too far.

ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
Closed Thread