Budget gaming build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I was contemplating the extra $150 for a 285 versus a 260, so yeah an extra $60 for the 4850 x2 is fine with me. How about this one, the 2GB version?? Not much more money for twice the memory.

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100270SR Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I was reading in the reviews that it's "really long," will it fit in the case OK? And will I need to upgrade to a PSU that's more than 550W? One of the reviews I was reading said this card might be a little overkill if you run under 1920x1200 resolution, but I don't want to have to worry about my graphics card for a while.

Ok, so I THINK this is the last iteration of the set-up, thanks to the input from everybody. Again, I really appreciate it. When it comes to things like this, I have hesitations with spending the money, so it helps to get input and advice on what to get. Last night after putting everything together I contemplated getting an i7 processor setup instead. But I THINK I've got it all nailed down, and it's not so bad in cost either. I just want to make sure I don't have any regrets after ordering it. And I'd rather spend a little more up front than have to upgrade 6 months down the road.

The only "big" changes I made were switching BACK to the Quad Core instead of the Duo 2, a PSU that's a little cheaper, and the 4850 X2 2GB. I was searching around on the forum and was reading that the Quad might be a little more future proof and better for multi-tasking, but not necessarily an improvement for gaming. I don't mind spending the extra money for the Quad since I'm saving a little with the different PSU. Any more input from the gurus? Should I stick with the Quad? It's really the only thing I'm flip flopping on. Generally I just do gaming and surfing on my comp, but if the extra $30-$60 will make my computer a little better off in the future, I'd rather spend it now. Will the Quad have any disadvantages to the Core2 for gaming and such, even after OCing? I think I might order this Saturday night/Sunday morning if it all looks good.

Thanks again all for helping out with my questions.

Case
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Mobo
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

CPU
Newegg.com - Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

RAM
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

PSU
Newegg.com - OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

G-card
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100270SR Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Hard drive
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

OS
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

CPU Cooler
Newegg.com - XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Total cost with a DVD/CD drive and some Arctic Silver compound is $1,135.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Nothing wrong with the OCZ you posted, but 1 rail is always better than 4. This will make your life easier.

The WD is also a good hard drive, but you can get faster.
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
For some reason newegg only has the 1TB F1. The Samsung Spinpoint F1s are about the fastest conventional Hard drives you can get. I personally wouldn't get the 1TB model, but that's the only one there.

These are only suggestions, they are not must haves. The setup you have now will work fine. These are just alternatives to consider.

OK I'm putting the order in right now. I went with the Corsair PSU you suggested zmatt. I also decided to go with the E8400 instead of the Q9400. I just don't see myself needing a quad core any time soon. I really only do gaming, surfing, and some occasional tinkering on Photoshop. If a time comes in the next year or so where I need a Quad, I'll upgrade when prices have come down. Either that or I'll change to an i7 since prices will most likely have dropped by then. For now I'll just OC the E8400. No sound card for now as I've heard the onboard of the GA-EP45 isn't that bad.

I'm ending up about $300 over my original "budget" of $800, but it'll be worth it. Thanks again for the help everybody, I appreciate all the advice I got. Lets hope nothing arrives DOA and I can get it set up with no problems.

No problem, those are some very wise decisions you have made on your build. Good luck. if you need any help assembling it, just come back and we can walk you through it.

Since the computer will be here in a few hours (hopefully) I've got a few last minute questions.

For the motherboard drivers, should I just install off the CD it comes with, or will those be outdated enough to just ignore them and download from the Gigabyte website?

Since the PSU get's mounted at the bottom of the case, if the fan intake is on the bottom do I need to mount it upside down to avoid choking it of air, or does this not matter?

And lastly, when I first boot the computer into the BIOS, I'll be able to choose a main hard drive to boot from, correct? The reason I ask is I want to install the new SATA 750GB drive and the IDE hard drive from my old computer so I can get old files from it. It has a Windows installation and everything on it though, will that matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom