Budget gaming build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, good to know about the PSU. Thanks for all the help so far.

Sorry, the card I meant to post was this one. The "Black Edition" 260 from XFX, it has the 216 processing cores, and as far as I can tell the only difference is the core and clock speeds are higher. Is it worth the extra $40 to start with the speeds higher or should I just get the one that Phil posted and overclock it if I want?

Newegg.com - XFX GX260NADBF GeForce GTX 260 Black Edition Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Ok, good to know about the PSU. Thanks for all the help so far.

Sorry, the card I meant to post was this one. The "Black Edition" 260 from XFX, it has the 216 processing cores, and as far as I can tell the only difference is the core and clock speeds are higher. Is it worth the extra $40 to start with the speeds higher or should I just get the one that Phil posted and overclock it if I want?

Newegg.com - XFX GX260NADBF GeForce GTX 260 Black Edition Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

OC'ed cards are a ripoff, you can do that yourself. And get the 4870 1 gig its faster.

In the comparisons I've been looking at between the GTX 260 and the 1GB 4870, it looks like the 260 Core 16 is faster (more FPS) on most of them.

Just curious, if I were to front the dough and step up to a GTX 285 or something, would I need to change to a higher power supply? As I was surfing last night I was looking at reviews of cards and such and I'm trying to decide if I should spend the extra money for the bigger card. Is the card worth the extra $150 though? I found an XFX one that comes with Far Cry 2 and COD 5 so it's not a bad deal. The reviews I've been looking at don't show a huge advantage for the 285 versus the 260 core 16. Would there be a much bigger difference if I overclocked the cards?

Just gettin some last minute indecision out of the way before I pull the trigger.

Aandtech had a recent article which although not targeted at single card setups had the 4870 beating the gtx 260 in 11 out of 12 tests. Its pretty conclusive. Most of the benchmarks are old and were made at launch. The anandtech one used newer drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom