Budget Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovesocks

In Runtime
I'm building a computer for my aunt, uncle, and their two sons. It's their second (i.e. backup) computer. They don't do much gaming - mainly kids' stuff - and could probably survive on a 9600 or something, so I went with the 6600GT, just for future's sake. :D So we're going for a balance between budget, upgradeability, and "cool 'n' quiet." They won't be overclocking, obviously. They haven't picked a case yet, but here's everything else:

OCZ Modstream 450W PSU
AMD Venice 3000+
MSI K8N Neo4-F (ATX AMD)
512MB Crucial ValueSelect DDR400 (2 x 256MB)
eVGA 6600GT PCI-E
Gigabyte DVD burner
NV Silencer 6 Rev. 2
Scythe Ninja CPU heatsink
I'm giving them a hard drive.

The total (including the average case cost) is right at $800.
Everything look okay? Thanks people.

Seriously, that computer is better then mine O_O

I'd go with a 6600 if I were you, not the 6600GT. Or if they are gonna be doing very casual gaming, consider the 6200. But 6600 should be the balance.

I'd get 512mb of ram, if they aren't heavy gamers, 512mb should suffice.

OCZ Modstream?! Man. These are all gaming hardware. Get a fortron 400W PSU or something. You don't need the modstream! The modstream is designed for overclocking.

And last but not least, the processor. A Venice 3000+ should do fine where the 3200+ does. Again. I'm a hardcore gamer and I got a venice 3000+ and its fast enough for me.

Just ideas to save you money!

~Enjoy

Thanks for the feedback.
OCZ Modstream?! Man. These are all gaming hardware. Get a fortron 400W PSU or something. You don't need the modstream! The modstream is designed for overclocking.

~Enjoy
Interesting .. I actually chose the Modstream because I'd be able to remove the cables they wouldn't be using (which is most of them), giving the case a cleaner look and better airflow. Plus it looks sweet. Are there any modular power supplies that cost less?

I also picked the 6600GT because .. they just bought a $1500 Dell .. and the graphics card is an X700! So after I screamed and stabbed my eyes out with an oyster fork, I vowed that I would crush that computer for half the cost. Anyway, a 6600 vanilla would only save $50. :D

Good idea on the RAM and CPU .. updated the build. I chose the 3200+ because it's only $11 more but ..

btw septoid, that video in your sig cracks me up. But I don't get how he gets the gun to fire. Does he put his belt through the trigger guard? Or am I reading too far into it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom