budget build

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkywaggnelz

In Runtime
hey all, lookin to build a new desktop but I don't have much money. So I would like to keep it pretty cheap, like 400, not including monitor or peripherals. im not looking for anything crazy. i don't know that i need quad core or 4 gigs of ram or anything like that. core 2 duo and 2 gigs of ram would work, i can always upgrade and expand later. i dont need the greatest video card either. something that can run some decent games would be nice. i really want stuff like assassins creed and oblivion and the CoD's to work. not even at highest settings, medium would be cool.

you cant use ddr3 ram on an am2+ mobo.

these are still a little over @$415
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT12864AA800 - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - HIS H485FM512H Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred + BP430 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 430W Power Supply - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

if you have a spare optical drive from another pc, that would shave $25 off. also, you can go with a lesser gfx card, like the 4670 that aliasaid had linked above, which would shave off another $30.
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100296HDMI Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

in terms of games, what will that set up run fairly well? i dont need like highest settings but medium would be nice. the rig in my sig ran oblivion very well. will this?

well the way it is right now, youd should able to play most games on higher settings with the 4850, also assuming that you dont have a huge monitor with a high res.

take a look here. http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-performance-list-212331/ the 8800gts is #34, whereas the 4850 is #16, just to give you an idea.

if you go with the alternate card to save money, the 4670, it would give roughly the same or a little better performance as the 8800gts, as it is ranked #33.

Do you need to keep your old rig together? If not re-using the hard drive, tower, PSU, and RAM should save a good deal of money.

Whats ur reason for upgrading your current PC? Because spending $400 on a slight upgrade might not make the most sense.
Im not sure about the performance of the E6420, but you could probably just upgrade the graphics card and get much better performance in games.
If the cpu isnt up to par either, id recommend doing what dirkpitt45 suggested. Buy a mobo, cpu, gfx card and reuse the case, psu, hdd, ram. You could get a nice upgrade in performance this way for $400.

Whats ur reason for upgrading your current PC? Because spending $400 on a slight upgrade might not make the most sense.
Im not sure about the performance of the E6420, but you could probably just upgrade the graphics card and get much better performance in games.
If the cpu isnt up to par either, id recommend doing what dirkpitt45 suggested. Buy a mobo, cpu, gfx card and reuse the case, psu, hdd, ram. You could get a nice upgrade in performance this way for $400.

+1

with a decent cpu cooler, you should be able to OC that 6420 to 3+ Ghz easily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom