Brand NEW PC .. newbie question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyCurious

Daemon Poster
I just want to know after installing all the components of the PC, and lets say installed everything correctly.

what do I have to do next? Just push the power button???
I don't know what to expect. Will it just take me to the BIOS/CMOS screen?

Will I need a floppy disk drive to boot... and how would I know whether to flash the bios or not... from what i heard, flashing the bios means updating the motherboard. I'm afraid I'll mess it up after installing everything correctly.

If you plugged in everything correctly it will boot up just fine. You will need to click delete or something to enter the BIOS. While your in there make sure all of your parts are recognized such as hard drives and CD-ROM drives. Also check the speed of your processor and ram to see if they are correct. Then go to the boot sequence menu and make sure CD-ROM drive is the first one on the list. Then save those settings. Put your windows disc in your drive and boot from the CD. Windows should do the rest.

You don't need a floppy disk drive to boot.
Never flash you BIOS unless it is absolutely necessary. I just flashed my BIOS on my computer a few days ago because it wouldn't boot. Now it runs so slow I have to build a new computer. I have no idea what happened.

you definitely don't need a floppy drive to boot, but I would actually install the OS before you check your processor speeds and memory speeds. I like to do that to make sure the system OS is stable first, and then go through and make sure things are right.

But that's just the way I like :)

i would start by installing the OS, then check online for BIOS updates.... then start tweaking ur bios for overclocking and stuff....

Nice, so it's no different from deleting everything from your harddrive and then trying to re-install windows again from cd-rom. woohoo!!! i've done this before so i'll probably have no problems with it. Thanks guys.

Yep, setup the bios to boot from CD and put in the Windows (or whatever OS you're using) CD into the CD drive and wait for the on screen instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom