Bottleneck Upgrade for 7800GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russdb7

Baseband Member
Hello,
first post...glad to be here.

I am currently running an AMD 3400+ Newcastle @ 2.4 ghz (Socket 754) on an Asus K8N4-E PCI-e Motherboard with 1.5 Gb Corsair XMS Pro (2-2-2-5) and a MSI nx7800GTX 256mb Video Card. The computer is mainly for gaming and will continue to be so.

My question is, with the current DROP in AMD prices, is an upgrade to an AMD 4600+ X2 (Socket 939) and an ASUS A8N 32 SLI motherboard going to (1) dramatically improve speed, (2) reduce bottlenecking for the Video Card, and (3) improve the fps of the games I play, AND (4) mainly be worth it?

Thank you for your replies.

It is a Viewsonic 17" E70f+, maximum resolution is 1280x1024.
Eventually, I want a 19" 2ms LCD, but first things first.

Thank you.

Well, then a CPU upgrade will make a big difference. And since you're going from socket 745 to s939, you have the benefit of dual channel memory as well. Not sure if you'll see a massive increase in framerates, since the 4600 has a slower stock speed than you current CPU, and most games aren't optimised to support dual cores, but I reckon you should see a little increase. Not sure if it's worth the money, but it would be better in the long run to go dual core. Hope it helps. As for the bottlenecking, don't let Gaara see this post, or you'll see a rant about bottlenecking, and what it refers to! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom