Bottleneck Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm going to get an FX-60 Dual Core 939 cheap off EBay (they have some starting at $200-WOW!) and get a eVGA 8800 GTS 320. Thanks for your ideas and support guys! I <3 you!

I think I'm going to get an FX-60 Dual Core 939 cheap off EBay (they have some starting at $200-WOW!) and get a eVGA 8800 GTS 320. Thanks for your ideas and support guys! I <3 you!

i wouldnt recommend getting the FX-60, because everyone is overcharging it from $200-$380 up, when u could save a lot of money n buy a really good heatsink n fan off newegg.com, get Artic Silver 5, OC ur 2x 3800+ to the MHz of the FX-60 n ur CPU should match up to it.

all i see that is differ from the FX-60 n urs is the clock frequency is higher, nothing else.

all i see that is differ from the FX-60 n urs is the clock frequency is higher, nothing else.

several significant differences actually...
fx-60 has 13x (stock) multi, 3600 has a 9.5 multi
fx-60's cpu multi is unlocked
fx-60 has twice the L2 cache (not that big of a deal, depending on usage).
BUT
it will get a bit hotter.

if we're comparing the 3600 and the fx-60...if we are talking about the fx-60 and the 3000, i think the multipliers are the same, but hte other differences are there.

8800's bottleneck E6600 core 2's, of course you won't be pushing an 8800 to the limit with a 3800, but it would be the easiest upgrade to performance.

There is no such think as a perfectly balanced machine, something will always bottleneck another part.

System Builder Marathon: Day 4 | Tom's Hardware

that link had some info relating to the topic

several significant differences actually...
fx-60 has 13x (stock) multi, 3600 has a 9.5 multi
fx-60's cpu multi is unlocked
fx-60 has twice the L2 cache (not that big of a deal, depending on usage).
BUT
it will get a bit hotter.

if we're comparing the 3600 and the fx-60...if we are talking about the fx-60 and the 3000, i think the multipliers are the same, but hte other differences are there.

FX is hot and is 135w i think? A company processors are mostly all the same chip, programed inside are different multiplers and commands for the faster proccesor. FX is added a ton more voltage so it would be stable at the high clock speed to fit its enthuist name. 3600+, brisbane 65nm that you only need to pump half the voltage of FX to power it. AMD and Intel get get their enthuists products buy just seting the CPU with an unlocked multipler. That raises it price by a couple hundred (back then anyway but still for core 2 extreme).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom