blue screen of death

Status
Not open for further replies.

snick

In Runtime
bah humbug...finally get my computer together...booting up fine off of windows cd....partitions drive....starts install of windows...finally gets all the info on the harddrive...then harddrive begins installing...at the end of that, bam, blue screen of death.....now all i can access is bios, if i try to install windows again, nothing happens whatsoever....just a blank screen....going to download latest bios, and try to flash the bios....any other tips would be welcome :(

You probably don't have your RAM configured right in the BIOS. Be sure it's set at it's rated voltage and timings. BTW, if it turns out that you now have an expensive paperweight, I'd be happy to take that hard drive off your hands for you :) (just kidding)

bleh, better not be a paperweight....be a flying, hole in wall, punching paper weight if it is....

not sure how to configure ram....i go through all the bios settings...most i can find is the voltage for it...i do know it's running at 2 3 6 7 instead of the 2 3 2 5 it claims to be....

guess i'll go fishing throug the forum....or heaven forbid, re-read the manual!

Give me the link to the memory you bought and I will tell you exactly what settings to change.

i'm pretty sure it has something to do with the harddrive....the 150 raptor is pretty new....could windows have a problem with it?
when i reboot with the windows cd, it starts:

An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing.
Setup failed to install the product ctalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files contain more information.
Press OK to view the Setup log file.
of course i cant press the OK button, mouse doesnt work here.

Set the voltage to 2.6, then go to the dram configuration page, and set the Tcl to 2, the Trcd to 3, the Trp to 2, and the Tras to 5. This SHOULD fix your problem. I doubt it's the hard drive, but of course it IS possible.

bleh...

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Window root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

it talking bout information on the hardrive or disk? was trying to boot off disk after i made the above changes.

Having bad memory settings can corrupt data on the hard drive. If it is in fact the memory, those problems should go away when you make the changes I suggested in my previous post.

made the changes....harddrive has a partial installation of windows on...so it was always trying to resume the installation where it messed up....any way to make it start over from beginning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom