Black cable on my CPU heatsink is stuck? Pic included - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Black cable on my CPU heatsink is stuck? Pic included

A huge Copper Heatsink

Old 03-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Nice,
Another question, the cpu fan seems to stop spinning sometimes but then when I remove the side of the case to look into it and look the fan starts spinning again... is this normal, do cpu fans turn on and off automatically because I thought they were always on.
I'm starting to get annoyed by the noise the cable makes with the fan so I'm probably going to get a new heat sink... (do I have to remove the thermal paste or can I use the same one that's already on the processor) other than the one already mentioned in this thread...which cpu fans do you recommend. I don't know what size it is but its the stock one that came with my intel i7 930.
Thanks,
Fertogo

Old 03-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Look in the bios, you should find a setting for your cpu fan speed (it is usually called Smart Fan). If it is set at anything other than Manual - 100%, then your fan speed may wavier up and down.

As for a new heatsink and fan, in what Country do you live (so we can provide you with valid shopping links). And what kind of a budget can you afford? Will you be overclocking? And yes, you'll need to replace the thermal paste but it's very easy to do.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
Look in the bios, you should find a setting for your cpu fan speed (it is usually called Smart Fan). If it is set at anything other than Manual - 100%, then your fan speed may wavier up and down.

As for a new heatsink and fan, in what Country do you live (so we can provide you with valid shopping links). And what kind of a budget can you afford? Will you be overclocking? And yes, you'll need to replace the thermal paste but it's very easy to do.
Ok, I can't look in the BIOS right now because Im using a USB keyboard and it wont recognize it until I enable USB on the bios, I just ordered a PS/2 to USB adapter so I can do that.
I live in United States, Houston TX. Im looking at about $20-$30 maybe more if its worth it. I might overclock but as of right now Im satisfied with the speed of my processor and do not really need anymore.... I have 2 tubes of thermal paste laying around. (so do I just clean the old thermal paste with rubbing alcohol and put the new one in?)
Thanks again,
~Fertogo
Old 03-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I'm off to work this morning, Look for my reply this afternoon
Old 03-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lord Techie

This is as close to a stock heatsink that I see and it's $30 plus shipping.
Dynatron G785 2U Server PWM CPU Cooler - Intel® Nehalem LGA 1366 - FrozenCPU.com

I would spend the extra $10 and get this instead, it's a far superior heatsink.
Thermalright CoGage True Spirit 4-Heatpipe Core i7 CPU Cooler (Socket LGA 1156** / LGA 1366) - FrozenCPU.com

And yes, clean the old paste off with rubbing alcohol and reapply new paste. Only use as much paste as a single piece of rice.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to SirCyber

just as an FYI the heatsink Slaymate uses is this
Thermalright "Limited Edition" TRUE Copper Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink (Socket LGA 775/LGA 1366/LGA 1156*/AM2/Xeon*) - FrozenCPU.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak213
Knowledge is power. Power is nothing if it is not shared.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
This is as close to a stock heatsink that I see and it's $30 plus shipping.
Dynatron G785 2U Server PWM CPU Cooler - Intel® Nehalem LGA 1366 - FrozenCPU.com

I would spend the extra $10 and get this instead, it's a far superior heatsink.
Thermalright CoGage True Spirit 4-Heatpipe Core i7 CPU Cooler (Socket LGA 1156** / LGA 1366) - FrozenCPU.com

And yes, clean the old paste off with rubbing alcohol and reapply new paste. Only use as much paste as a single piece of rice.
Thanks alot I will probably get the second one due to the quality... I notice that its sideways..is the installation the same? Also, I cant see the cables on those pics but I hope it doesnt have the same thing that mine has right now :P Will I be able to overclock a little bit with that one?

WOW! That really is huge! No wander...
Old 03-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm about to order the heat sink that you suggested
this one
but i noticed that it is turned sideways and does not seem to have screws to install.
How do you install a heatsink like this one?
Thanks
~Fertogo

PS: sorry for the double post but I could not edit my other post...
Old 03-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Depending on the layout of your mobo it may have to install horizontally, but it will probably fit Vertically.

Here's the installation Guide
COGAGE::COMPUTER AND GAMING GEAR