Biostar I45 Bios settings for PATA/SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

James_78

Baseband Member
I've been working for hours trying to get an PATA DVDR/W drive and a SATA Hard drive working together.

In the bios, under SATA Configuration, My SATA hard drive is detected. Upon boot, the Marvell adapter detects my DVDR/W drive.

When I put in the Win Server 2008 disk in the drive, windows installation will go to a gray screen for a few seconds, then the mouse pointer will freeze, and the system reboots.

Under Bios settings for SATA, I currently have:

SATA#1 configuration: Compatible
Configure SATA#1 as: IDE
SATA#2 Configuration: Enhanced

The SATA hard drive is connected to the #1SATA port on the board.

Please make me feel stupid by telling me something is obviously wrong with this setup... :confused:

The documentation on this is simply non-existant. I'm thinking of just buying a SATA DVD/RW, and calling it quits with all PATA, but I'm not sure how I'd configure that in this cryptic bios menu either.

They should be on separate channels. PATA is IDE, just a different name sake for less confusion. So really in channel 0 of your SATA controller should be your hard drive, then you'll have the same ol IDE cable going to the PATA DVD drive.

I don't understand the 'working together' as they aren't on the same cable. Will the system just not work with both connected? I'm assuming your hard drive works since you are booting into windows, and i'm also assuming the DVD drive works if it is reading the DVD drive. Could the CD be bad? Have you tried another dvd in the drive and seen if you can install off of it?

They should be on separate channels. PATA is IDE, just a different name sake for less confusion. So really in channel 0 of your SATA controller should be your hard drive, then you'll have the same ol IDE cable going to the PATA DVD drive.

Yes, they are. The DVD is on the IDE ribbon cable (connected to the only IDE connector on the board). My board has 6 SATA connectors. I had the HDD in SATA1, but moved it to SATA2 just because I don't know what else to do.

I don't understand the 'working together' as they aren't on the same cable. Will the system just not work with both connected? I'm assuming your hard drive works since you are booting into windows, and i'm also assuming the DVD drive works if it is reading the DVD drive. Could the CD be bad? Have you tried another dvd in the drive and seen if you can install off of it?

I'm really not sure what the issue is. I'm going to try to install Mandriva Linux 2008 right now, but I don't have very high hopes, because that's taking forever to boot the LiveCD.

I disabled all SATA, and added an old PATA HDD that I had laying around, and I actually got to the Windows set-up screen. Maybe the new hard drive is dead?

I bought a SATA LG Blu-Ray/DVD-RW drive, and everything is installing now. I don't have any idea why it wasn't working, maybe the IDE DVD drive was not supported.... Who knows, who cares at this point :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom