Which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitmanj

Baseband Member
Ok, here's the thing. When my mom bought our computer, the one we have now, it came with 6gb of ram. There are 2x2gb and 2x1gb sticks. Here's a pic of each one.

l_7a78bfa7bbdd49a1bc97f20cb3f05366.jpg

l_4e61f937ccb945418cbd1859686fa842.jpg

There's two sticks of each type of ram above.

I also have a set of this ram:

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Now, I was wondering which ram would be better. I'm guessing the G.Skill because the ram that came with the computer is probably generic and they take up all for ram slots, so there's no room for them. I'm not sure though. I need to know which is better to use on my pc. Thanks in advance to all feedback!

Yeah should be. Nothing really takes up 6 gigs anyways. If your not on a 64bit operating system though it's all a waste, it will only recognize 2.5-3.2 or something. also, the 4 gigs will be in dual channel, I dont think the 6 would be. could be wrong on that though

edit: i believe the 6 is in dual channel. but it looks very generic, and it's slower. and as i stated nothing really uses 6 gigs of ram right now

the g.skill is obviously much better, but since pc2-5300 is 677mhz, and that the computer came with all 5300, it is doubtful that the motherboard supports anything over 677mhz. so it will run it at the max the board supports. what mobo is in the computer?

Also, I'm hoping that this computer has a 64bit os...it most likely does, because it came with 6gb ram, but you might wanna check.

EDIT: thresh beat me to the os kind.

as long as both channels have the same about of ram in each dimm slot, then it will run in dual Chanel.

Jerk out the RAM in it now and replace it with the G.Skill.

Even if you are running a 64-bit OS, you won't use 6GB of RAM unless you are doing some heavy Photoshopping or video work.

the g.skill is obviously much better, but since pc2-5300 is 677mhz, and that the computer came with all 5300, it is doubtful that the motherboard supports anything over 677mhz. so it will down will run at the max the board supports. what mobo is in the computer?

Also, I'm hoping that this computer has a 64bit os...it most likely does, because it came with 6gb ram, but you might wanna check.

EDIT: thresh beat me to the os kind.

as long as both channels have the same about of ram in each dimm slot, then it will run in dual Chanel.

I can't find the type of motherboard I have, but the desktop i have is the Dell Inspiron 530. Came with Q6600.
My Windows Experience Index went from 3.3 to 3.5 and upped some of my other scores. So I'm guessing it's better. Right now I have the G.Skill installed and I have a stick in slot 1 and then the other in slot 3. Is that ok? Will it run in Dual channel? BTW, what is Dual channel? And yes I am using Vista.

Even if you are running a 64-bit OS, you won't use 6GB of RAM unless you are doing some heavy Photoshopping or video work.

well there would be no point if he didn't have a 64bit os, as like you said, barely anything uses over 4gb ram these days, 6gb is a little over kill, and 8gb would be more over kill. So if he does not have a 64bit os, then he can either leave the ram out, or get an 64bit os and use it, depends what he wants to do.

Even if you do have a 64bit os, and you use the ram, the difference in performance for that much ram WILL NOT BE NOTICEABLE, even with intense PS and all the stuff that relies on ram, you will barely see an increase in that either.

EDIT:

I can't find the type of motherboard I have

meh, does not really matter, as you are not going to get another mobo as far as i know, even if it only supports 667.

I have the G.Skill installed and I have a stick in slot 1 and then the other in slot 3

it depends on the layout of your motherboard, download and install cpuz and see if the ram is running in dual channel.

what is Dual channel

dual channel, kinda uses two different memory lanes to make ram access faster.I don't know in-depth specifics...

well there would be no point if he didn't have a 64bit os, as like you said, barely anything uses over 4gb ram these days, 6gb is a little over kill, and 8gb would be more over kill. So if he does not have a 64bit os, then he can either leave the ram out, or get an 64bit os and use it, depends what he wants to do.

Even if you do have a 64bit os, and you use the ram, the difference in performance for that much ram WILL NOT BE NOTICEABLE, even with intense PS and all the stuff that relies on ram, you will barely see an increase in that either.

So basically I should go with the G.Skill(have it installed right now btw, using it on this computer at this moment)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom