Best possible gaming PC at $450 budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 630, 640, and 635 are not good chocies for cpu's. Although they are quad core, they only have 2mb of L2 cache. The x2 555 that I posted has 6mb of L3 cache. Quad core doesn't necessarily mean better than dual core. It depends on the applications you are running. If thats the case just get an i3 540, it has 2 cores but 4 threads for multitasking.

Newegg.com - Intel Core i3-540 Clarkdale 3.06GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3540

Otherwise for AMD the only CPU worth it is the x4 955 because it has the 6mb cache on it.

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

Just my opinion: The best CPU around the $100 range is the i3 540. The best CPU in the $150 range is the AMD x4 955. And the best CPU in the $200 range is the i5 750 (quad core with 8mb cache). Anythign in between isn't really worth it.

oh and YES Rosewill PSU's are better than expected. Look at the amperage on that guy. 700 watter for $55 is a good deal. You will need it to power that 5770.

It looks like it just went on sale but yesterday it was more $$ before so I just said the 540. The point though is that the i3's in general are the best route to go for the $100 price tag.

The 630, 640, and 635 are not good chocies for cpu's. Although they are quad core, they only have 2mb of L2 cache. The x2 555 that I posted has 6mb of L3 cache. Quad core doesn't necessarily mean better than dual core. It depends on the applications you are running. If thats the case just get an i3 540, it has 2 cores but 4 threads for multitasking.

Newegg.com - Intel Core i3-540 Clarkdale 3.06GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3540

Otherwise for AMD the only CPU worth it is the x4 955 because it has the 6mb cache on it.

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

Just my opinion: The best CPU around the $100 range is the i3 540. The best CPU in the $150 range is the AMD x4 955. And the best CPU in the $200 range is the i5 750 (quad core with 8mb cache). Anythign in between isn't really worth it.

oh and YES Rosewill PSU's are better than expected. Look at the amperage on that guy. 700 watter for $55 is a good deal. You will need it to power that 5770.

uh wait now I'm lost, so the AMD x2 555 actually has more L2 cache then the 600 AMDs which translates to better gaming performance?

The 555 is a Phenom II while the 640 is a Athlon II. The Phenom line have full caches while the Athlon line have half the cache of the Phenoms. More cache can translate as better gaming performance, but the difference is not a big thing most of the time.

The 640 is a full quad while the 555 is a dual core but with the potential of unlocking up to two other cores. My daughter's fiancé built her a computer using a 555 and was able to unlock both of the cores and they are stable, but not every chip will do this.

The 555 is a Phenom II while the 640 is a Athlon II. The Phenom line have full caches while the Athlon line have half the cache of the Phenoms. More cache can translate as better gaming performance, but the difference is not a big thing most of the time.

The 640 is a full quad while the 555 is a dual core but with the potential of unlocking up to two other cores. My daughter's fiancé built her a computer using a 555 and was able to unlock both of the cores and they are stable, but not every chip will do this.

hmmm so is it a safer bet just sticking with a cheaper i3 or i5 ( if there even is one? What would you recommend for a more future proof gaming system the 640 or 555 with that being said?

I guess its an argument of whether or not dual core with more L2 cache vs quad core is better for future games? This person I'm building the computer for has no experience and therefore will be playing it on the safe side and not OCing or changing any default settings.

er sorry to cause confusion, I don't have any parts, I merely said "got mobo and cpu" meaning I decided which part I would get on previous recommendations although this has now changed ( the whole dual core with more L2 cache vs quad core for AMD debate ). Doesn't everyone think the GTX 460 is a great steal at $140 compared to other ATI cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom