Best Overclocking Quad below 300?

Status
Not open for further replies.

commandercup

cuPWNED
Whats the best overclocking quad that costs less then 300 USD?

How do you guys think the Phenom B4's will do? What about penryn?

I'll be upgrading my CPU soon to a quad, and although keeping with amd (going to Phenom) would be easiest (I can use my current mobo until I can afford to upgrade), I've heard only bad things about the current gen Phenoms

Q6600 has the best price/performance so far?

current gen phenoms from what i've heard can't really get above like 2.6~2.8 but when the b4 comes out i'm sure with a TRUE-120 or a Tuniq Tower you could get around 3. But still the qxxxx series will be better clock for clock then the phenom and due to the architecture of the chip itself should be able to overclock farther then phenom.

also keep your eye out for the penryn quads as they probably will hit an overclocking wall due to the mobo not being able to increase the FSB anymore rather then the physical limitations of the chip.

basically if you get a dual core and you oc it tons to quad levels, then it will work better for now. but the thing is that programmers are just now getting programs dual core optimized and that kind of puts quad cores out of place, but once programs are quad core optimized dual cores will be "old school"

basically if you get a dual core and you oc it tons to quad levels, then it will work better for now. but the thing is that programmers are just now getting programs dual core optimized and that kind of puts quad cores out of place, but once programs are quad core optimized dual cores will be "old school"
agreed, thats why $199 for Q6600 has no competition for lasting high end builds :)

Tiger direct has a nice barebone with a q6700+680i+ other stuff for a decent price...and i think the q6700 is a G0 revision but loses the unlocked multiplier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom