Best OC'ing Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
SLI has SLI and sata II sata support, while the ultra-d doesnt. but it can be modded.
Ultra-D has SATAII although it doesn't really matter as even 10,00RPM drives can't utilize 150mb/sec SATAI bandwidth...the nf4-D has no SATAII

The best one however is the SLi-DR Expert
The Expert has killed off a bunch of hardware...including a record breaking 4GHz FX-55 chip

gaara said:
The Expert has killed off a bunch of hardware...including a record breaking 4GHz FX-55 chip

lol - It was the DFI expert that killed the 4GHz FX-55? Right.

It wouldn't be the additional 1.4GHz that was overclocked on a Stock 2.6Ghz CPU, regardless of the cooling? Or what about the insane amount of voltage that was pumped into that chip to get those insane OC's? Or possible some variant beta BIOS?

na... it was probably the expert board.

I know very little about overclocking, but that example seems a bit fishy? But, hey, i've been known to be wrong.

gaara said:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82281

It wasn't running at 4GHz when it died...probably a modest overclock or possibly even stock speeds as it died within a few hours...and this is even after he's had running for months with no problems on an SLI-DR...he's not the only one either

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82319

Yeah I know, i'm a OCin' noob... lol
I've been reading all of that stuff on extremesystems and dfi-street.
Kind of interesting stuff. It's been a very mixed review. Some have crapped the bed and taking a few components with them and others have had ZERO issues.

It's kinda touchy subject. OCer's have looked at the DFI Lanparty boards as gold in the OCin' community. Which is basically something you do if you aren't interested in warranties. You're pushing components beyond what they are rated to do. DFI now seems to be turning it's back on those that have had issues.

I'd like to see a press release from DFI. Anyone know of one?

DFI has had previous bugs with their boards even back when the nf4s first came out...same thing with the nf3, and they all originally blamed the problems on user errors, yet later admitted it was a problem with the board itself...a huge example of this is the nf3 ultra-d which had a resistor where it should now have been

Right now they're basically doing the same thing, and I mean sure, some of the boards work fine...but I mean some Maxtor drives work fine...but they're still most less reliable than other comparitive hardware that can do the job equally

And of course the original lanparties are already above average overclocking boards and have everything I need and then some...and they have good support and are stable/reliable

You might also want to look into thr ASUS AN832-SLI deluxe, while yes it is very expensive, it is a board to marvel at. All the people on XtremeSystems have been able to match their highest overclocks with DFI boards on it, and the RAM voltage also goes to 4.0v. It is also the only board with dual x16 pcie lanes, and it has silent chipset cooling.

bobafett573 said:
hey I'm planning on getting about $300 for Christmas this year and so that means computer upgrades! Last year I bought some OCZ Platinum Rev 2s but my motherboard couldn't overclock them (couldn't give enough voltage to 'em) so this year I plan on getting a motherboard that can use them to their full potential. I have a problem though. Motherboards that support AGP are becoming obsolete. I currently have a GeForce 6600GT AGP graphics card. I really don't think i'll have enough money to buy another graphics card (i'm getting a Socket 939 motherboard instead of my stupid socket 754 one that i have now so i gotta buy a new processor too). What is the best OC'ing motherboard (socket 939) that supports AGP and what is the best OC'ing motherboard (socket 939) that supports PCI-E? Thanks ahead of time!

If you want to stick with socket 754, my DFI LanParty UT is a pretty badass overclocker. just don't OC your videocard, it will create hitching and pauses because of conflicts with the nf3 chipset.

Yeah, that exactly what i've been reading. You just put it into a much better paragraph. lol...

It kinda sucks how DFI, advertises a board for the enthusiast as an overclockng board. Then when issues arise with a new board, they blame it on the user. Most of the complaints that i've read were from xtremesystems.org. And anyone who has visited that site knows that it's mainly made up of people, "Who know what they are doing."

Question: I've seen (2) DFI Lanparty SLI-DR's on newegg.com.
One Is like $169 and the other is $199.
They seem to be the same board?
What's the difference? oh wait, i see one is UT and the other is not.
Still what's the difference?

HAVOC2k5 said:
Question: I've seen (2) DFI Lanparty SLI-DR's on newegg.com.
One Is like $169 and the other is $199.
They seem to be the same board?
What's the difference? oh wait, i see one is UT and the other is not.
Still what's the difference?
I think the non UT version is a little better, it has 7.1 onboard sound, and the UT has 5.1 onboard sound. I think there are also some other small differences.

Nah the non-UT isn't worth your money...it basically just includes a Front-X connector with some USB/serial ports and some LED diagnostics...it's basically the same board but it has a larger bundled package

Pretty sure my Ultra-D is 7.1 but I don't really care if it is or isn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom