best mobo and ram for first build

Status
Not open for further replies.

beccabob

Solid State Member
ok. new to building pc's and want this to be as ez as possible. am going to be getting the E6400 cpu and eVGA 8800GTS 320 mg vga. want a mobo that isnt tooo complicated for a """first timer""", but one that doesnt have all the headaches ive read about like memory not working properly, bios not updating properly etc. need advice on the perfect mobo/2 gb memory combination. had pretty much decided on the P5B mobo with 2 gb of kingston ram. want to stay within a hundred bucks of that combo. plz advize! :))) problably using the antec 900 case with a seasonic S-12 psu. thanks so much in advance.:D :D

Whats your budget? Do you need features like RAID or do you want SLI?

P5B is a good choice but Kingston doesn't make the best really good RAM that performs well for the money. If you have an E6400 I suggest getting some decent G.Skill ram to help you overclock where you need to be but tell me what you are going to do and how much you want to spend.

no raid no sli just a good pc for playing eq2. asus mobo's seem scary because thier website seems to be very picky on what ram to use. want to be able to oc, but want a system that is stable and will run eq2 just fine without it, so i dont have to rush my oc'ing learning curve. may use kc-compuyers.com or sysbuilder.com to purchase a mobo/cpu/ram combo as they do alotta the scary stuff for u (update bios, adjust settings for specific ram, etc). def going with a eVGA 8800 GTS, one good harddrive, a soundblaster audigy 2 zs soundcard (already own it, and sound is secondary to graphics to me). pretty sure going with the seasonic S-12 500w psu. from there im lost! lol thinking about the antec 900 case. have bounced between P5B, P5B deluxe, and the gigabyte DS3 mobo. just want a great mobo & 2 gb ram combo to go with that E6400. 300.00? somewhere around there for the mobo and ram. thanks agin all!

Get a Biostar P65PT as they are a cheap board that just doesn't support RAID or SLI.

They overclock amazing as they have the Core 2 Duo record overclocks. I have this exact same board and it's just sick, ask anybody.

Here it is
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138037

Also for ram I had no problem with G.Skill ram as I bought a gig of it, I would get this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231114

As those are some nice timings and that's a new line of memory they put out, overclocks awesome. The ram and the board should take you as far as your chip will allow you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom