The Best Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40GHz -- Stage 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
ROFL, and here I thought we were going for "the best pieces, dollar for dollar" and not the most expensive ones. Since, ya know, a $150 ASUS P5B-E would overclock as far as some of those $250 motherboards. Oh well, silly me. :rolleyes:

It is dollar for dollar but money comes second to performance. We want to find out how to build the best computer around the e6600, if this processor only cocks to a certain speed we need at least that in our mobo, but no more. If you know a motherboard that is cheap but will let this processor go as hard as it can suggest it and explain why you think it is better for the money. I will look into your p5b-e.

You're making too big of a deal out of this.

ASUS P5B Deluxe. A motherboard that knows no [practical] limits.
G.Skill 2GB DDR2-800. Memory to let your processor hit 4.0Ghz, and then some. NOTE: I will be shocked if the E6600 hits 4.0Ghz.
Zalman 9500. Some of the best air cooling around without going for a monster tower in your case.

There, that wasn't so hard, eh? No other parts will affect the processor. I suppose Case cooling could be a factor. But other than that, those parts will take your processor as far as its going to go on air cooling. The overclocking limits are more often determined by the cooling though, not the hardware. If you want to get a faster clockspeed than what those parts will provide, then invest in some custom watercooling. Phase-change would take it even farther, but the performance increase would not be worth the price.

Talk about making mountains out of molehills. We designers on the forum specialize in maxing out the capabilities of hardware as best as we can without going over-budget. To us, what you have proposed is nothing special; it happens everyday in every single build that we design. No one designs (or is atleast supposed to design) a computer that is not the best that a certain amount of money will buy.

Well, a power supply can massively affect the performance of a computer. With out enough power, you will have issues with overclocking and stability.

I was going to include that, but then decided against it. A bad power supply can massively affect performance. If he can pick out a videocard, I trust he can pick out atleast a decent PSU.

Water cooling was obvious to me, when striving for peak performance it is necessary. I am not a wizard on computers but i am mechanically inclined and getting the hang of this. I came to this forum to learn some new things and unlearn some old. This might be overkill to you but to a noob its just about right, have patients for us newer to all this tech. It's complicated at first.

My only point that it is unnecessary to devote an entire week for picking one part. The time required for that is more in the neighborhood of 5 minutes (or one hour, when considering this is a forum). I'm not expecting you to know what part to pick, that was hardly the intention of my post. And I know what its like when beginning with computers, the horror is still quite fresh in my mind.

OK point well taken, this forum is faster than others i have been to. I am surprised at how quick people responded. I thought a week would have been sort but meh. I'll post stage 2 later today. This is not a guide for me to go out and buy everything people vote on either, i am honestly curious to what is the most favored piece in every category. I am still going to go with what i think is best.

Looks like the evga did take number 1 though. So we have the e6600 planted in the evga nForce5 680i sli.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom