Best Graphic Card for the money...and size issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

MenschX

Baseband Member
my son is trying to upgrade his Gateway FX8020 with a better graphic card. There isn't that much room in it. we are looking at this card:

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

any comments? what ya think? good card? better card out there for the money? is there even room for it? anyone know the exact dimensions? we found something about 10.6 and another page that said it's 12.6.

any comments are welcome.
suggestions to better cards are welcome.
don't want to spend more then that really.

def. not over $200

THANKS

we decided to go with the 4870. fits too...so that's good.
Gateways dumb PSU is a real pain, it has enough connectors, but one of the connectors was about 1mm to short. Made it fit tho. Don't ask how, but it works. LOL

Cameron is happy. I am happy. Have my computer for myself again. lol at least for now.

THANKS!!

I am not sure why I would "upgrade" a 700w psu to a 500w?
this gateway does have a 700W PSU. It is just really dumb constructed by one cord being a little shorter then the other. Stupid really. Not sure what they were thinking.

I am not sure why I would "upgrade" a 700w psu to a 500w?
this gateway does have a 700W PSU. It is just really dumb constructed by one cord being a little shorter then the other. Stupid really. Not sure what they were thinking.

good quality/brand psu > no name proprietary psu's that are in most pre-builts.

You can't always go by the wattage. But I do think you'd be okay with sticking to your current PSU for now

You'll be fine with your current power supply, be it HIPRO or Delta, you have at least 60A combined on the 12V (Split between four 12V rails). It'll be more than powerful enough, as long as they haven't exaggerated too much on the specifications.

IMHO, send the 4870 back, and pick up the 5770. With that you get DX11 support, and since your son is a gamer, I'm sure he'll want to try it out.

that's the card he originally picked, but someone said it's outperformed by the 4870. ohh...that reminds me...typo on my end. we didn't get the 4870, we bought the 4890. still directx 10 tho. bought it locally because I really wasn't sure if it'll fit. newegg price was the same, so it wasn't a big deal.
anyway besides directx 11 what are quality differences between 4890 and 5770?

he's playing arma 2, GTA 4 , etc... stuff like that. but he's just getting into pc gaming... ex xbox player. lol

note: I did see the list http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-performance-list-212331/ but couldn't find the 5770 on the list.

that psu has to wait at least til christmas. then he'll get a new case, etc...but right now i am broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom