Best gaming keyboard? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 07:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Best gaming keyboard?

My old keyboard died a death of tea spillage so I'm looking out for a new keyboard, its a nightmare because the keyboard is a vital piece of gaming kit and yet its pretty much overlooked in reviews as such.

So, what, for a reasonable price, is the best gaming keyboard?

And by gaming keyboard I don't mean it has to be all wacky colours and strange media keys, it can be a 90p standard 105 for all I care but it has to have good tactile keys, I prefer light rubber sheet for a very light press with a soft impact yet fast popup.

I have some basic criteria:

1) Standard layout, preferably with with English rather than American mappings
2) Decent tactile keys as illustrated above
3) keys must be responsive over the whole surface of the key - i.e. space bar etc must have same response and performance if you're using the far edge or the middle.
4) Must be able to handle multiple key press
5) Is preferably backlit, but this may be stretching it a bit.
6) Wired, none of your wireless nonsense, we're talking serious gaming not pansying around on wow.
7) Should preferably disassemble easily for cleaning.
8) if it comes with a wrist rest it must be removable, I pivot my wrists on the table so that my arms are supported, a wrist rest actually CREATES rsi by putting more strain on your arm.
9) a decent amount of travel, so traditional or close to traditional keys, not the thin laptop style keys.

I have tried:
Cherry :- fails criteria 3, 2, and 5
Nexos :- the most horrible keypress in the history of keyboards - fails 2
Saitek :- keys are just a bit naff, backlight weak, otherwise meets criteria but i'm not bowled over by it.
OCZ Alchemy Elixir II :- Fails 3
Razer :- Fails 1 (American only)

Any thoughts on the ultimate uber keyboard for the most discerning of gamers?

XFX HD4890
Noctua nh-u12p
Corsair HX520
Antec 300
Samsung 1TB F1 Spinpoint
Samsung SM2443BW 24"
Old 08-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: Best gaming keyboard?

You're not gonna get all that for a reasonable price... Since your a "serious" gamer why not try the logitech g15? It's completely over-rated and no where near what everyone hypes it up to be. It's got the old annoying traditional key style, so lots of tactile feedback. 18x3 macro keys, some computer to gaming switch that I have yet to figure out what it does.. Nice bright keys, nice bright LCD screen, nice and large, wrist wrest is an actual rest, although the bottom of palms rest on it more than my wrists.

Not sure on the mapping, thought a QWERTY keyboard was a QWERTY keyboard everywhere...

Not sure how much they are now, but I got mine for 129.99 the year it came out at futureshop. I'm gonna get rid of it though, the whole "lots of travel + tactile feedback makes you type better" is not my thing. To me, less travel would make you type faster and better, cause you're gonna remember where all the keys are eventually. It's got two USB 1.1s on it as well, not sure what that latest versions have, but I imagine they've gone to 2.0.

I guess what I wrote makes it seem like a rather bad keyboard, but it is really good. Just not my thing. I hate anything traditional, always gotta have new or interesting things. Which it was, 3 years ago. But now there's the logitech illuminated keyboard, sleek, small, no macro keys, quiet, laptop like keys, seem perfect for me. Just gotta wait till it gets here .

Old 08-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

G15 meets all your requirements. Not sure about 1, i have only ever known the QWERTY US type...
Old 08-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Razer Lycosa (backlit) or Arctosa (not backlit)
Old 08-09-2009, 01:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Yeah, G15 or G11 if you want to save money. They are the same except the G11 has more macro keys instead of the screen and is backlit blue instead of orange.
Mobo: ASUS P6T
PSU: 750W PC Power & Cooling
Old 08-09-2009, 04:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

OK well with regard to keyboard layouts:

US keyboard, which you will be familiar with:

UK Keyboard, notice the \| key is between the Z and LShift, this is important for gaming as it is an extra key near the wsad cluster:

The G11 sounds interesting but looking at it it is huge! Same goes for the G15.

Now I like the look of the Razer Lycosa but i'm not sure that I can get it in UK layout, I know I can get the Eclipse II in UK layout :-/

Edit: It seems the Razer Lycosa is availiable in UK layout, so this keyboard has just moved to the top of my list, can anyone who has one describe the keys to me? is it nice to type/game on?

Hmmm, this is putting me off a bit:

Google Image Result for http://bowdownbefore.us/wp-content/gallery/lycosa/keys_closeup.jpg

I read that the saitek Eclipse II also has "painted" keys... *Sigh*
XFX HD4890
Noctua nh-u12p
Corsair HX520
Antec 300
Samsung 1TB F1 Spinpoint
Samsung SM2443BW 24"
Old 08-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee View Post
Edit: It seems the Razer Lycosa is availiable in UK layout, so this keyboard has just moved to the top of my list, can anyone who has one describe the keys to me? is it nice to type/game on?
I like the feel of the keys on the Lycosa better than my G15 v1 (Exactly same as the G11 but with an LCD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee View Post
Hmmm, this is putting me off a bit:

Google Image Result for http://bowdownbefore.us/wp-content/gallery/lycosa/keys_closeup.jpg

I read that the saitek Eclipse II also has "painted" keys... *Sigh*
So does the G11/G15.

I know early G15's had a problem with the black coming off the keys. But they fixed it (made it much more durable).
I haven't seen this issue on my Lycosa (I've had it for at least a few months). So maybe they fixed the issue, like on the G15.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
El Mágico

I have the G15 v1 since release and have no problems with colour fading. On the other hand, the OP could go with the G11, which is a very good keyboard and can be found quite cheap nowadays.
| i5-4690K@4.4 | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | 2x8Gb G.Skill Ripjaws@2133/CL9 | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Design Define R5 | Samsung Evo 840 500Gb | Dell 3415W | 2xMSI 980Ti Gaming 6 SLI | Corsair RM 850i | Corsair K70 | Proteus Core | Windows 10 x64 Pro | FiiO E17 Alpen as DAC/amp | AKG K551 | Blue Snowball iCE |
Old 08-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to philbar71

the keys on the G15 v2 ( i have it too) will not wear off and almost all keys are painted on or are stickers.

Newegg.com - Logitech G15 104 Normal Keys 29 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard - Keyboards

$75 on the egg.

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
Closed Thread