Best External Harddrive? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
This is sparta!

Default Best External Harddrive?

I'm planning on buying this from Tiger Direct:
Fantom GreenDrive 1TB External Hard Drive - eSATA, USB 2.0 GD1000EU at TigerDirect.com

Seems like a pretty good deal since it has eSata and 1tb for only $140. I was just wondering how realiable Fantom company is. I've had a Seagate Freeagent fail on me and it is not covered under warranty for Data Recovery (which cost ~$300) but it does have a 5 year warranty but I have to pay shipping / handling (which is another $20+). I have many countless memories irreplacable by money such as photos, videos, projects on that external harddrive and I am not going to replace it. Right now I'm putting the harddrive aside assuming that time doesn't erase data. For the new hardrive I'm buying, I want it to be more reliable than the Seagate so I don't have to pay another extra couple of hundred $ for data recovery.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Patron

Default Re: Best External Harddrive?

Never heard of them and wouldn't trust them, imo. I would build my own or stick 3 new 500gb drives in my desktop and raid5 for data redundancy. For the broken drive try putting it in the freezer overnight , there a lot of 50 utilities out there that can get your data off. Seagate is one of the most reliable brands but there are always ones that slip through the net, you should of backed up your data will then drive started clicking (if it wasn't clicking then its possibly just the circuitboard thats died)

Old 11-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
This is sparta!

so i put my external harddrive in the freezer overnight? you sure that wont break it ? What if it drys, woudln't it be we?

someoen confirm me that putting your external harddrive in your freezer will help fix it
Old 11-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by akasixcon View Post
so i put my external harddrive in the freezer overnight? you sure that wont break it ? What if it drys, woudln't it be we?

someoen confirm me that putting your external harddrive in your freezer will help fix it
Why would it be wet? What on earth kind of freezer do you have... The colder air gets the less moisture it holds hence why Antarctica is also one of the driest places on Earth and also why you see dew in the morn. When you put things in the freezer they lose there moisture hence why you shouldn't try to rapidly defrost food. Electrical resistance is increased with heat so the idea is that there is less resistance and the drive magically works better I have heard of it working never tried it myself but its worth a try. Try some googling if your still unsure.