Best Dual core system for under $1,000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nezzari

In Runtime
I've been wanting to buy a new computer, preferably one with dual cores. The best system I've found so far comes from Ibuypower.com. It's around $990 dollars all together... Is this a good deal? or can I find something like this elsewhere?

Processor: AMD® Athlon-64 X2 3800+
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI nVidia nForce4-SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB
Memory: 2048 MB [1024MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand
Video Card: [PCI-Express 16x] Nvidia Geforce 6200 with TurboCache Supporting 256MB w/DVI + TV Out Video
Hard Drive: 160 GB HARD DRIVES [S-ATA] Maxtor 160 GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Hard Drive

I wouldn't want to build it myself, I'm more of a software person. But if would save me money (over 100-200), I would.

It most likely will...go to a site like newegg.com and get a total on the following parts

AMD64 X2 3800+ Manchester
DFI Lanparty nF4 ultra-D
2x1GB Corsair Value Select
eVGA 6600GT PCI-E
Seagate Barracuda 160GB w/ NCQ
OCZ 520w Modstream

Gurantee that will be below a grand and will do much better than what you have listed above

^^ if that is below a grand, im going to kill myself. i should have built that. i hate this

gaara said:

Gurantee that will be below a grand and will do much better than what you have listed above

Hmmm, are you saying that my list isn't good? (the one from Ibuypower.com)

Seemed pretty good to me :confused: this is exactly why I don't want to build it myself.

Just looked it up since I'm in a good mood now and have nothing to do while waiting for bleach...comes to $1053

edit -

Hmmm, are you saying that my list isn't good? (the one from Ibuypower.com)

Seemed pretty good to me this is exactly why I don't want to build it myself.
Nonono, your list is for the most part fine...I'm just saying building it yourself can get you some better parts for about the same price

From what you have listed, I would first switch the Maxtor drive with a Seagate with NCQ since it'll be faster, more reliable and has a longer warranty...I'd also drop the 6200 with "turbocache", that basically means it has no dedicated VRAM and uses your system memory for VRAM...this isn't really a problem if you don't game but it still drops overall performance

Oh yeah, you've also got an SLI board listed yet especially if you buy a 6200 you don't need that kinda stuff

Ah, thanks a lot, I didn't know about the Vram thing. I'm going to try and find the parts.

Hmm, The items you listed alone add up to nearly 1,100... I'm pretty sure I got all the parts right.

I got $1053 as I mentioned above getting everything from newegg except the processor which is from zipzoomfly...you can cut corners if you want, like getting an MSI Neo4 instead of the DFI Ultra-D...cutting your memory in half will save you a bunch of money as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom