Best Cpu Cooler for E6600 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2007, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Best Cpu Cooler for E6600

Hello againg guys..

Can you tell which is the best cpu cooler for an OC e6600 ??

i been reading.. and these seems to be the best options:

Tuniq Tower

Thermalright Ultra 120 combined with the Scythe S-Flex SFF21F fan and an artic cooler 5 paste. beatīs up the tuniq tower

source: AnandTech: Thermalright Ultra 120: Elegant, Fanless and Efficient Cooling

what do you think?

Old 03-28-2007, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: Best Cpu Cooler for E6600

Go with thermalright. I am waiting for mine to arrive. Tuniq is too heavy and a little more noisier. Same price though.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Renowned Budgeting Master
Send a message via AIM to Sora

Actually the Gemini is the best I'm pretty sure.

However...the a lapped TT120 with AS5 is still very awesome.

Or the BT lapped is amazing too...

I think its called the Gemini II...Gemini something...too lazy to look it up.
E6300 w/ Arctic Freezer Pro 7 @ 3.6ghz 1.4Vcore
Antec 900 Case
EVGA 750i FTW Mobo
4x1GB of G.skill DDR2-800
2 8800GT in SLI
22" Samsung Syncmaster
1 250GB WD and 1 Seagate 7200.10 in RAID 0
Corsair 520HX 3DMark06 Score: 13900
Old 03-28-2007, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Check out this cooler. Its the same size and shape as the standard Ultra 120 but with extra heatpipes. AnandTech: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme: Is More Better?

Old 03-28-2007, 09:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

yes but it is not out yet
Old 03-28-2007, 10:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

If you're willing to spend $70, why not just up it a little and get water cooling? Water cooling is still the best way to go. It's space saving as far as crap being loaded onto the motherboard bolts and stuff on the CPU. It's also safe, being that most liquids for liquid cooling is completley non electrically conductive or corrosive, and will not harm your computer at all if there happened to be a leak or any kind of accedent.

For $100 on NewEgg you can get a Thermaltake Bigwater SE for the E6600. Although cheap, it will work. The pump will most likley quit by about 8 months, but if you save up every week (8 months times 4 weeks equals 32 weeks, meaning if you saved 2 or 3 dollars a week, you could by the top of the line pump which is all that needs upgrading in the BW SE. (Unless you want to go with a better radiator of course...)

I was originally going to go with either a Scyth or an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro with AS5, but decided to spend a few more bucks and get the BW SE. I get my whole system tomorrow morning via UPS which I'm happy about, so I'll let you guys know.

But in my honest opinion, depending on the mobo, I would go with liquid. If you have a high end mobo like the striker (which with the new BIOS ver. it's pretty stable (As of Apr. 6th 2007) you will be able to OC that thing pretty far, and liquid cooling would be your best route. For lower clocks in OCing, I would recomend the Gemini as Sora said.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Water-cooling is too much work... You have to find space for the radiator, pump, probably drill holes in your case for the tubes, have to check on it all the time to make sure its not leaking or anything etc. especially when you use budget parts since you don't actually get that much more performance. Not worth it imo.

I wouldn't say it's space saving either. Sure you don't have that huge tower on the CPU but you have the rad, pump, resorvoir, and all the tubing to worry about.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Well, the radiator mounts on the back of the case, the tubing runs down into one of the expansion slots on your case (TT provides a shield like plate so there are 3 holes, 2 for intake and output hoses, and a third for wiring). The pump can sit at the bottom of your case, which with my Thermaltake Armor, there is plenty of room. The resivior (sp?) sits in any one of my 11 drive bays, neatly tucked away. The tubing looks awesome since the liquid inside is UV reactive and doesn't look cluttery at all if you manage it right...
Old 03-29-2007, 10:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Scythe Infinity. Look up the benchmarks.
TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
Old 04-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Originally Posted by TheMajor View Post
Scythe Infinity. Look up the benchmarks.
Wow the scythe infinity is HUGE!!!

much to big for anything smaller than a midtower case...

Closed Thread