Best bang for the buck for replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobmitsuo

Baseband Member
So my rig died, dont have the money to go out an build a new top of the line quite yet so i need something to replace the parts that are dead and reuse what is still good. Problem is, they dont make 478s anymore as far as i'm aware. So the CPU is good but the mobo not, doesnt really matter.
So need a mobo and cpu, i have an agp card so preferably something with both AGP and PCIex so i can upgrade later. But compatible with ddr PC3200 ram. There is a asrock board i've been looking at

Newegg.com - ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 LGA 775 VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

but have no idea what kind of proc to stick in it that would be worth my money, specially considering i plan on building a new rig sometime in the summer. Looking for something cheap but worth the time. Had a 3ghz p4 socket 478 in the mobo that went up. The mobo and the proc were the oldest thing in there.

What's your budget? According to the specs, that mobo supports both Pentium and Core 2 processors. If you are looking for a good proc that will last you a while, pick any Core 2 Duo that fits into your budget as even the slowest one would be faster than your 3GH Pentium 4.

Edit: here's a good low-end Core 2 Duo: Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Or if you have a lower budget, this dual core pentium is very overclockable and will last you until you buy your top of the line pc. Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

What's your budget? According to the specs, that mobo supports both Pentium and Core 2 processors. If you are looking for a good proc that will last you a while, pick any Core 2 Duo that fits into your budget as even the slowest one would be faster than your 3GH Pentium 4.

Edit: here's a good low-end Core 2 Duo: Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Or if you have a lower budget, this dual core pentium is very overclockable and will last you until you buy your top of the line pc. Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

how about the e2200?

e2180($70) can outperform stock x6800 ($800) when overclocked

i find that rather hard to believe...not impossible...but hard. seems like it would take more than a high clock to compensate for having 25% of the cache the x6800 has, also the lower FSB. i guess the FSB would be clocked higher if the 2180 was OC'd. plus, you would have to oc it to at least 3ghz+.
not impossible i suppose.

i find that rather hard to believe...not impossible...but hard. seems like it would take more than a high clock to compensate for having 25% of the cache the x6800 has, also the lower FSB. i guess the FSB would be clocked higher if the 2180 was OC'd. plus, you would have to oc it to at least 3ghz+.
not impossible i suppose.

actually its not very hard, it has a 3.4ghz+ overclock, the least I've anyone maxed out is 3.2ghz, and it still outperforms...

so whats the point of the 4mb cache in the 6800? lol im sure there are lots of folks that cant oc them to 3.2 amigo, just none on here. we're special. we can oc anything. i overclocked my toaster yesterday.

so whats the point of the 4mb cache in the 6800? lol im sure there are lots of folks that cant oc them to 3.2 amigo, just none on here. we're special. we can oc anything. i overclocked my toaster yesterday.

it uses a really new stepping, the m0 one, so it runs cooler and a killer overclocker...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom