Best AGP graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThrowingChicken

Baseband Member
I realize it is old technology, but it being phased out does leave the benefit of knowing what was the last great of its kind. Plus I'm still on AGP and probably won't be upgrading anytime soon. So what is the best you can get for AGP? Right now I am using a BFG NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS 256MB. I can run stuff like Crysis and Mirror's Edge on low settings, but can I get better results with an AGP upgrade?

Yeah I do believe the 3850 was the fastest agp card made. But what are your other specs? Because I'm guessing the rest isn't very new either. And you could probably upgrade all the core parts for just a little more than the 3850 costs ($200)

4670 or 4830 ~$75 or ~$90 (both are faster than the 3850)
Intel e5200 ~$73
motherboard ~$80 (something like a p43)
2gb or 4gb ram ~$25 or ~$45

Assuming you have a capable power supply you could grab stuff like that for around $250-$300.

I bought the computer when I was in college, back in 04 or 05, so yeah it is old.

2205 Mhz AMD Athlon
I believe the motherboard is Nvidia but I don't know much about it.
2gb ram

Is that a Athlon XP or Athlon 64? Either way I wouldn't bother with a $200 agp video card upgrade because the single core cpu is going to slow you down a good bit. Do you know what psu you have? And how much voltage and amperage it has? Because that build I posted above would be a huge leap in performance if you want to spend the money.

As long as his psu has adequate amperage on the 12 volt rail then he should be good.

AGP has been dead for a long time, in fact when you bought that machine in 2004 they were starting to phase it out.

I agree with dario, you money would be put to much better use if you built new. Assuming some choice parts are usable you can get away with a mobo, cpu, ram transplant for very little cash.

That power supply has enough power for the stuff I posted. Are you considering going with a core parts upgrade? If so how much would you want to spend? Like I said the stuff I posted earlier is good and cheap. For a motherboard you could probably grab a Gigabyte ep43 ud3l for about $85. But how many ide devices do you have? That board only has 1 ide connection.

edit: also try not to double post and just click edit, otherwise the mods will come get you in you sleep lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom