Been a while -- need assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameGURU

Fully Optimized
Woo, it's been a while away from tech forums. A few years maybe :)

Ok, I need to upgrade my system and need suggestions on a cpu and gpu. I am a gamer and this system will be for gaming (duh). However, I don't want or need the absolute top of the line system, just something to get me playing games in medium to high settings until my next small fortune is amassed to blow away on another computer (about 2 years).

So, that said, my choices:

CPU:
Intel - E8400 (more expensive than all, dual-core, not so future-proofish??) or Q6600 (cheaper, quad-core, future-proosh'ish??)...

AMD - Athlon 64 X2 6400+ (cheap, seemingly fast, dual-core) or the 6000+ version (even cheaper, oc'able to 6400 speeds)...

I have seem some benchmarks saying that Intel's cpu's are blowing AMD away lately, any validity? Personal experiences? Etc...

GPU:
Nvidia - eVGA 8800GT
Ati - HD 4850

Again, I have seen benchmarks showing the 4850 on top of the 8800gt.

Thoughts? Discuss/criticize please!

Reasons?

Crossfire is too much money right now. I was going to go with a single card for money reasons.

Q6600 will become better at games as games are getting more and more Quad-Intensive

Reasons?

Crossfire is too much money right now. I was going to go with a single card for money reasons.

just a suggestion since you say you want a gaming rig. just get one 4850 right now and get another when you have the chance.

Thanks. Is the 6600 inferior to any degree than the e8400 in terms of gaming? Is there a big difference between the two? The 6600 seems a better value.

Go w/ the 6600...you won't notice any difference in games between the two..and in a year or two when pretty much everything uses more than two cores it will blow any dual core out of the water.

i wouldnt get a dual core, as vernong said games are getting more quad core supportive and a q6600 is a beast for 200. for the price you want to go with either a 4850 or 4870 as they are the best cards for your money atm untill we see what the 4870x2 has to offer. nvidia also have good cards at previously good prices (9800gtx) but the ati 4xxx has offered minimal or same performance difference at great prices.

in games like crysis, you will see some difference. and as said future will be alot better for quad cores. in cpu intensive tasks like raring or encoding converting videos you will notice alot of difference by having a quad. intel cpus in last year have also been great for overclocking and the q6600 is no exception with a decent cooler (xigmatek rifle) you will get 3.2Ghz easy

CPU:
Intel - E8400 (more expensive than all, dual-core, not so future-proofish??) or Q6600 (cheaper, quad-core, future-proosh'ish??)...

AMD - Athlon 64 X2 6400+ (cheap, seemingly fast, dual-core) or the 6000+ version (even cheaper, oc'able to 6400 speeds)...

Note: Intel does have a cheaper and highly overclockable CPU like E7200, that can beat AMD 6400+. You don't have to buy E8400 if you are on low budget.

Go w/ the 6600...you won't notice any difference in games between the two..and in a year or two when pretty much everything uses more than two cores it will blow any dual core out of the water.

Dude most applications don't even use or require more then one core. Besides his upgrading in another 2 years anyways. Since there really is no difference between dual core and quad core in gaming at the moment. It makes no sense why he should blow his money on a Q6600 at the moment. Because by the time his ready for his next upgrade there will be better Processors out by then with higher clock speeds as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom