Been reading up on Quad Core, few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akumajin

Baseband Member
Ok so just reading many reviews all over the place, I am still kind of deciding between the q6600 or e6850 from Intel. I will be using the computer for everything from internet browsing and photo/video editing to high-end gaming and everything in between. Some people said that old games would run very screwy on the Quad. Any thoughts on this?

Also, I read that there is a difference between the B3 and G0 stepping, and looking a bit into it. Turns out that they really are only different in the fact that the G0 generates a good amount less heat. I'm using the Antec 900 case with a 200 and 3 x 120mm fans, and I'll be doing very light OC'ing (just processor and MAYBE video card). If I get a B3 (50% chance to do so, apparently), will I still be OK? If it matters my PSU is 600 watts 38amps total on the 12v rails.

Thanks ahead of time.

Ok so just reading many reviews all over the place, I am still kind of deciding between the q6600 or e6850 from Intel. I will be using the computer for everything from internet browsing and photo/video editing to high-end gaming and everything in between.
4 cores will help very much in video editing, games are more and more going to become quad compatible
Some people said that old games would run very screwy on the Quad. Any thoughts on this?
a quad @ 3.5 = dual @ 3.5 in old games

Also, I read that there is a difference between the B3 and G0 stepping, and looking a bit into it. Turns out that they really are only different in the fact that the G0 generates a good amount less heat.
definatly go g0, it overclocks much better
I'm using the Antec 900 case with a 200 and 3 x 120mm fans, and I'll be doing very light OC'ing (just processor and MAYBE video card). If I get a B3 (50% chance to do so, apparently), will I still be OK? If it matters my PSU is 600 watts 38amps total on the 12v rails.
just get a g0 and don't worry about it , its the same price

Right now I would wait to get a quad-core becuase new ones that are supposed to be a lot better are coming in January. I would either go big or go home, as in either an E2180 and overclock it to 3.5+ and save up for a better one, or go for the quad now.

As for your PSU it would be fine if you overclocked the quad and video card heavily, make SURE you overclock your video card if you want "high-end" gaming becuase this is very simple to do. Strive for the best overclocks becuase in the end even with these parts there will always be games you will struggle with and a performance increase could help.

the quads right now are gonna be just as useful as the new quads will be cumin in January. Right now in most games they wont improve in anything, until crysis and other dx10/newer games are out. quad will be alot better for video editing and encoding etc. but overall its a much better choice then any dual because it is alot more future proof and drastically improves fps in dx10.

Right now I would wait to get a quad-core becuase new ones that are supposed to be a lot better are coming in January. I would either go big or go home, as in either an E2180 and overclock it to 3.5+ and save up for a better one, or go for the quad now.

I'm saving up for .1nm architecture in 2030! Go big or go home

It's sooo going to destroy current quads

i was having the same issue but I opted to go with the quad. It should be alot more futureproof and I'm not gonna wait until Jan. for the new procs. They are slightly faster in clock speed and hav 4MB more L2 but you can easily oc the Q6600 above the stock speeds of the afforadable Penryns (250-350$ range). A Q6600 @3Ghz should be a reality on stock cooling and thats fast enough for almost anything. Unless u wanna wait, my advice is go with the current Quad-core.

Also the Phenom quads by AMD in January will be true quad core, not this wanna-be quad core by Intel meshing two dual cores together.

Therefore I see a larger performance increase due to better architecture which will allow the processor to communicate more efficiently and effectively.

blah blah blah.. wait wait wait!!! everyone says wait! who wants to wait.. cuz when the x9300 comes out.. then your gonna say wait for the agena... jeeze.. its always gonna be a wait.. i say you just get the g0... because.. waiting sucks....

unless you have something that will hold you off until then.. i see no reason to wait... i think the new quads are only gonna be like a 10 percent difference or so i've read...

lol agreed with gurusan!!! lol

Thanks for the help guys.

Another question -

I'm thinking of getting Vista for DX10. Does everything run on 64 bit that does on 32 for the most part? I want 64 for the extra RAM capability (more than 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom