Been awhile

So I was looking at the 3770k and it says it only supports memory types of 1333 and 1600, so would it be useless if i got this RAM?

-CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 Desktop Memory Model CMD8GX3M2A2133C9

Like any other CPU, they only state officially supported values. I believe that IB allows RAM multipliers to be higher than usual through XMP. Being the Platinum Dominators (best of the best really) I'm pretty sure they will have an XMP profile to run the RAM at 2133 while not having to overclock via bclk. I'm not 100% certain though. I ran 2133 on my 2500k that way which is why I'm saying this more of an educated guess. I will have to say though, that anything above 1600 is kind of pointless.

Yea ASRock got a bad rep because they used to be the lower board company of Asus. They used to spit out crap boards before this generation of processors. Now, starting with their P67 line they have really started to make some great boards including making the most recent 3770k OC WR. My next set of boards will for sure be ASRock.
They are also one of the top 3 sellers now with Asus and Gigabyte.

ahh I see, i might just got with the 1600, its cheaper also. And i never knew that about ASRock. Right now i'm looking at their Z77 OC edtion board

ahh I see, i might just got with the 1600, its cheaper also. And i never knew that about ASRock. Right now i'm looking at their Z77 OC edtion board

Knight,

I recently purchased the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 and I am totally happy with it.

Here's their website post for that product:

ASRock > Z77 Extreme4

Here's NE post:

Newegg.com - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

The ASRock Z77 Extreme4 has been the best quality MB I have ever used to build a system. It is sweet!

They have higher end Z77's too.

All appear to be quite good.

ASRock Z77 OC Formula seems to be your speed! It looks just like a yellow jacket or wasp, and I am sure it will enable you to sting your gaming opponents!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157328&Tpk=Z77 OC Formula

Finally, if you want to destroy Darth Vador with a Star Wars Look A Like MB, there is the ASRock Z77 Extreme9!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157322&Tpk=ASRock Z77 Extreme9

Soar

Last edited:
Thanks soar, its good to hear good reviews about their products, the extreme 9 looks and sounds fantastic, but it's a little pricey, I like the fact that it has more PCI 3.0 slots than the OC formula, haha now you put me in a sticky situation on which one to choose. Why is there such a big price difference between the two, does it have to do with the fact that the extreme 9 has more 3.0 slots and Bluetooth/WiFi built in, or am i missing somethig else?

And yeah thats pretty impressive how the OC one holds the world record.

Last edited:
Thanks soar, its good to hear good reviews about their products, the extreme 9 looks and sounds fantastic, but it's a little pricey, I like the fact that it has more PCI 3.0 slots than the OC formula, haha now you put me in a sticky situation on which one to choose. Why is there such a big price difference between the two, does it have to do with the fact that the extreme 9 has more 3.0 slots and Bluetooth/WiFi built in, or am i missing somethig else?

And yeah thats pretty impressive how the OC one holds the world record.

Knight51,

You know, I am not sure why the big price difference. Both MB's are loaded with all sorts of goodies.

Maybe try a NewEgg comparison. That should help.

Both are stellar MB's Knight 51.

Soar

Lemme check, as I've never looked at the Formula.

Ok yea, it is because it has more built in components (for instance the built in mPCI-E), and because the PCI-E 3.0 bridge chips are still very pricey right now. It's what gives the board more PCI-E 3 lanes.

Ahh I see, I think I might go with the extreme 9, there's about a 100 difference between the two, and it comes with built in WiFi and Bluetooth, and my original play was going to be to get a PCI WiFi adapter, so i can get rid of that. Or do you guys think I should go with the OC formula, or a a different board all together and get the WiFi adapter, cause i heard the PCI adapters where really good. the one I was thinking of is this.

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 for Desktop IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n PCI Express x1 Up to 300Mbps Wireless Data Rates WPA, WPA2, 802.1X

its only 35$ on newegg

I don't really see the point in either honestly unless you A) Plan to OC heavily or B) plan on putting 3 or 4 cards in your system (Extreme 9). I would get like an Extreme 6 and get the wifi card.

Back
Top Bottom