Beast Fried, Building MUCH more powerful, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexinator

In Runtime
I've been getting a little ****ed off lately because my mobo has been acting up on me. Now, it's completely DEAD. It boots to the Asus logo, then goes no further. So I say SCREW it!

Old:
Asus Striker Extreme
E6600 @ 3.9GHz
G.Skill DDR2 800 2GB Dual Channel
8800GTX surpassing 8800Ultra Speeds
2 x 7200RPM 320GB in RAID 0
HIPER 500W PSU (dual rails, one PCIe...)
CPU WC'ed with custom DD set-up

The new:
Asus Maximus Extreme <-- Seems to be sitting better then that **** Striker
Core 2 Quad Q6600 (I want to get the QX9650, but it's probably not going to be worth it...)
G.Skill DDR3 1333 (PC10600) 2GB Dual Channel
8800GTX x 2 (Going to pick up an extra one)
ABS Tagen BZ 1100W Power Supply with 6 +12v Rails! Six!!
2 Danger Den 8800GTX water blocks with new coolant and other hosting/fitting accessories.
An extra 120mm rad to go along with current 240mm rad

Now, I'm drooling quite a bit over this whole set up. Surprisingly, my favorite part is the PSU. My 500w is twitching out right now with the water cooling, 2 drives, 11 fans, 8800GTX and E6600 both heavily overclocked, it was going strong but I just don't have the cabling I want with the HIPER.

With that power supply, and that mobo supporting DDR3, 45nm CPUs, and PCIe 2.0, it's pretty future proof.

I plan on selling all my old parts. I'll RMA the Striker and get a new one, sell it on eBay, along with the E6600, RAM, and PSU. This will help lessen the cost of the whole upgrade. But I was wondering if that proc is even worth it? I want 45nm, and I want a cool running proc that I can really overclock, but would this outpreform even the Q6600?!?

I have just a few days shy of a month before I order everything. Total cost without second 8800 and with the QX9650 is a few bucks shy of $2,000. With the Q6600 it's only $1,164.. (Both procs OEM). What do you guys think?

Edit: Added another 8800GTX, changed proc to Q6600, and added two new water blocks for the 8800s. Plus another radiator.

No, its not worth it. Neither is ddr3 at the moment.

You would be better off imo with
q6600
Keep the ram, harddrives
Get a ds3r.

This is about the same build you have, just with a better processor.

The build tou suggested is way more expensive and not a **** of a lot better for the money.

The money or value is not something I'm concerned about. Every penny I spent on the original build is coming back to me in my tax return, since it's a business expense. So I feel no guilt re-investing it into the computer.

I'll probably drop that RAM and keep my current. I might just get the Q6600. Thing is, I want to be able to achieve at minimum 3.9 on the quad, but I want a nice even 4.0. I can get to 3.9 on my E6600, so that should be no problem. As long as I can get a GO Stepping Q6600...

clubit guarantees g0 stepping. With your watercooling, you should be able to hit 4.0, but im not possitive. One of the oc guru's would have a better idea then me OC wise

ive gotten mine to 4.0ghz on air and it booted windows, it just got to hot in 3d mark 06 so it crashed so with liquid cooling you should do very well, especially with the asus maximsu formula i love my board

lol...

well that would be one **** of a system. i'd either wait for more 45nm's intel's or get a q6600, the qx9650 would give you some bragging rights though but i don't think its worth the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom