The Battle of the Thermal Compunds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Battle of the Thermal Pastes.....

Where can i purcahse these pastes?
newegg only sells as5.
I dont mind spending around 10-15 max after shipping.

Well i need a suggestion.
Since i hve to take out the cooler from my mobo..cos it has to be returned, should i just apply it back and not re apply the paste beause the pc hasnt even been turned on. Mobo was DOA....or should i wipe out the unused paste and apply as5(which i have right now) or buy a better paste since i will be oc.

Whenever you take off the heatsink, you should always reapply the thermal paste. You don't need to buy a better paste, as AS5 will do just fine.

would rubbing alcohol and a cotton pad be good enough to remove the paste?

And when applying as5, should i spread it or apply a dot size or pea size amount?

would rubbing alcohol and a cotton pad be good enough to remove the paste?

And when applying as5, should i spread it or apply a dot size or pea size amount?

yes, rubbing alcohol and cotton pad would suffice - make sure to go over it a few times.

The way AS5 recommends applying it is about the size of a grain of rice (not sure of the orienation) and then pressing the heat sink on and applying pressure while slightly twisting the heatsink back and forth. This will make sure there's no air bubbles in the paste and seep into interstitial spacing on the surfaces of the heat sink and processor.

Where can i purcahse these pastes?
newegg only sells as5.
I dont mind spending around 10-15 max after shipping.

use an alternative site.. like petra's tech shop...

while applying the heatsink, some of the paste got on the surface around the cpu...is it safe for it to be there or sh ould it be wiped off?

good question. my first built...i got the paste onto the mobo pins...freakin had to take a needle and try to get it out..then i got it on my CPU...on the side that touches those pins...grain size huh. mann...i screw up my CPU soo much! i spread it first...

at least now i know to only put grain size for my next built!

heh heh... that's the great thing about using MX-1... it's non-conductive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom