The Battle of the Thermal Compunds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Battle of the Thermal Pastes.....

I bought the Liquid Pro once and will never do it again. Once is sets it almost seems to braze the CPU and HSF together making it very difficult to remove..and once you do separate them there's all kind of metal crap left on the CPU and heatsink that can't be completely removed unless you sand it off.

just a pointer for those interesting in buying it ;)

Yea, I heard that the Liquid Pro, kind of solidifies, between the heatsink and CPU, making for better thermal contact. It's probably, only worth getting, if you aren't going to upgrade, your processor or heatsink, for a very long time. But like most of us, we upgrade often. So I'd go with either, the AC MX-1 or that Shin-Etsu, which I know nothing about. Is it available in the US?

So the thermal pad that comes with the Artic Freezer Pro 7 is actually just as good as putting Artic Silver 5 on there? If that's the case than I wont buy the paste and just OC'd with the thermal pad that is included. Or am I misunderstanding this?

No, you didn't misunderstand. The MX-1 pad, on the AF7, does the job of cooling pretty well. So in that case, the AS5 is not really necessary.

perfect! That saves me another $6. Have I mentioned how much you guys rock! Okay now I am starting to sound like a cheap *******, but I like to call myself thrifty!

I looked at the Freezer 7 Pro before finding a good price on the Zalman model. But to this day I'll still keep some AS5 onhand. The thought of going with Liquid Pro would be for a build which doesn't see an upgrade but eventual replacement after a few years. The part about being more of an epoxy rather then paste is the downside there.

actually most prefer the arctic freezer pro 7, it does the job for a decent price, why get the luxury zalman? its like why get a hummer when a navigator does the same job without the heavy price and the gas lol :)

As I said earlier I was looking at the Artic Cooling model before finding a good deal on the Zalman. But when looking I quite often hear many favoring the Zalman especially on the newer Core 2 Duos and other cpus out. Both of the makes come out with the best stuff to be looking at for cooling. The only way to top those is to go with a good liquid cooling setup for a much higher price there.

Well Zalman is mostly just for looks, but it does cool, as good as it looks. Mine idles at 39-40C and loads at 50C. But the AF7 and the Tuniq, are the most recommended, coolers now.

What make and model cpu is that? The real tip on cooling is not simply the make and model cooler used but how much air flow you have for the case in general. When first installing the Zalman here I was seeing some 44C for an idle temp. The old case didn't cut it.

A new gaming style case now sees four large fans over two 80mm in the old one. The cpu temp dropped to 33C idle fast there! The board seen at 48C then saw 31C! No complaints now. And that's with AS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom