Back and still no Rig lolz - Page 8 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #71 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru
 
aspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 5,308
Default Re: Back and still no Rig lolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle Jumper View Post
If you can afford i7 I see no reason to go with a Core 2 quad. Core i7 is faster and as more applications can take advantage of 8 threads it will only get better. Also if you got a Core 2 Quad you would have no upgrade options while lga1366 will at least be used through Westmere.
Well how about the fact you can build a Quad core system based on the core architecture for less than 600 bucks...

Which is exactly what the cheapest i7 cpu and mobo will run you.

If you don't need it, why waste the money.

In 2 years or w/e she can totally upgrade to i7 or whatever the newest thing is and save a crapload of money.

Remember she isn't a savage overclocker, she doesn't do benchmarking, she just wants a computer to play some decent games on.
__________________

__________________
If I help you with something, you think I'm the bomb, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the star under my post.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
aspire is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #72 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
Puddle Jumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,286
Default Re: Back and still no Rig lolz

^^ A Core i7 920 costs less than a Q9550 and a x58 costs about the same as a x38/48 would for the Core 2 Quad. the only major difference is the cost of triple channel DDR3 memory which is about $110 for 3x1gb vs $~70 for 4gb of DDR2.

With the i7 you get better performance and more upgrade options in the future. If she wanted to upgrade 2 years from now she could just replace the 920 with whatever westmere cpu's are available at the time and keep the x58 and memory. If she got the Core 2 Quad and wanted to upgrade 2 years from now she would have to get a new motherboard, cpu, and ram. That would make the i7 build cheaper in the long run.
__________________

__________________

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Puddle Jumper is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #73 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru
 
aspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 5,308
Default Re: Back and still no Rig lolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle Jumper View Post
^^ A Core i7 920 costs less than a Q9550 and a x58 costs about the same as a x38/48 would for the Core 2 Quad. the only major difference is the cost of triple channel DDR3 memory which is about $110 for 3x1gb vs $~70 for 4gb of DDR2.

With the i7 you get better performance and more upgrade options in the future. If she wanted to upgrade 2 years from now she could just replace the 920 with whatever westmere cpu's are available at the time and keep the x58 and memory. If she got the Core 2 Quad and wanted to upgrade 2 years from now she would have to get a new motherboard, cpu, and ram. That would make the i7 build cheaper in the long run.
/facepalm.

Except for the fact that in 2 years an i7 920 will be old news. My e6600 just turned two and its been proceeded by C2Q, Skulltrail, and i7. And it's starting to get to EOL.

If she spends 600 bucks now on a rig, and another thousand down the road to upgrade the heart of it. She will still have saved money over building an i7 rig now.

I'll say it one final time.

SHE DOESN'T NEED AN ENTHUSIAST MACHINE, SHE'S A LIGHT GAMER. EVEN A C2Q IS OVERKILL FOR WHAT SHE DOES.

/END

/ITT nubs
__________________
If I help you with something, you think I'm the bomb, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the star under my post.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
aspire is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #74 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
Puddle Jumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,286
Default Re: Back and still no Rig lolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire.comptech View Post
/facepalm.

Except for the fact that in 2 years an i7 920 will be old news. My e6600 just turned two and its been proceeded by C2Q, Skulltrail, and i7. And it's starting to get to EOL.

If she spends 600 bucks now on a rig, and another thousand down the road to upgrade the heart of it. She will still have saved money over building an i7 rig now.

I'll say it one final time.

SHE DOESN'T NEED AN ENTHUSIAST MACHINE, SHE'S A LIGHT GAMER. EVEN A C2Q IS OVERKILL FOR WHAT SHE DOES.

/END

/ITT nubs
So if a i7 920 will be bad in two years how do you think a Q6600, which is pretty old now, will hold up? That is the only Core 2 Quad you have a chance of fitting into a $600 budget.

I never said the 920 would be on top forever but just buying a new cpu is cheaper than buying a new cpu, motherboard, and ram when she wants to upgrade 2 years from now.
__________________

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Puddle Jumper is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #75 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator
 
Nagasama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: probably on the lake
Posts: 6,956
Default Re: Back and still no Rig lolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothch1ck View Post
that... sounded like pure sarcasm.. and Mb or MB/s speeds? lol.. if its Mega bits well then.. that was surely sarcasm.. but if you meant MB/s then it wouldn't be .... . .. . .. .. 1011000101 1000101 0010101

I guess honestly even if I don't Raid0, the 160s are sorta wasted.... reason... after 5 minutes of thought.... is this

First HDD would have OS on it.. thats about it.
Second would have Swap File, "My Document Files" and the re-installation files, along with Anti-virus and Anti-malware tools, and any other 'needed' drivers and information, Dx, GPU drivers, sound, etc. Possibly a small section for backup of important documents, such as pictures and memories.

A third Large Capacity Harddrive would be used for Games and such. So I would have 3 HDD in total.
OK lets forget RAID. you dont need it, no you dont.
here it is in a nutshell:
buy 2 hard drives of whatever size you want.
first drive:
a 50-60gb PARTITION for your OS and for installing your driver files. lets call this the ''C" drive.
ON THE SAME DRIVE:
another PARTITION which is the remainder after the OS partition for miscellaneous documents, pictures, videos, storage of your driver downloads, things like that. "my documents", yes...that too. lets call this the "D" drive.
second drive:
games. thats it. lets call this the "E" drive.
if you go to "my computer", it will appear as if you have 3 hard drives. and in essence, you do as windows considers each formatted partition as a seperate drive.

this way, if you EVER have to re-install your OS for any reason you:
a) dont have to reformat your entire drive, just the OS PARTITION.
b) wont have to re-install any games after said re-format
c) will have access to all your drivers, because they are stored on the "D" drive. you will have to re-install them after the re-format because they were INSTALLED on the "C" drive (if you let them auto-install there).
d) ie you dont lose your data.

as far as this othe stuff about i7 and quads and duals i dont know if that was even part of your original question at this point, so i'll let the other guys argue about that one.
__________________
"nagasama no longer drinks tecate, or streaks out of the night for anything, and he has a fine wife so he has no use for your girlfriend...she is safe..."
Nagasama is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #76 (permalink)
The Bulldog
 
zmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In an empty Ramen packet
Posts: 4,660
Default Re: Back and still no Rig lolz

Nobody should be buying q6600s at this point. They are beyond obsolete. The x58 is the high end chipset for Core i7 so there wont be much better when Westmere comes out.

If you make a core2 build now, you will save cash in the short run, but you are only putting off the inevitable. In the end you will be buying 2 pcs. If you buy i7 now then you will only have to buy one and upgrade it to Westmere spec. Which at the most means new video card and extra ram on top of the cpu.
__________________


ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
zmatt is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #77 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru
 
aspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 5,308
Default Re: Back and still no Rig lolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
Nobody should be buying q6600s at this point. They are beyond obsolete. The x58 is the high end chipset for Core i7 so there wont be much better when Westmere comes out.

If you make a core2 build now, you will save cash in the short run, but you are only putting off the inevitable. In the end you will be buying 2 pcs. If you buy i7 now then you will only have to buy one and upgrade it to Westmere spec. Which at the most means new video card and extra ram on top of the cpu.
She's running a 2.53ghz P4 Anything is an upgrade.

A Q6600 will be way more than she will likely EVER need.

And honestly, if you think a Q6600 is "Beyond Obsolete" talk to the literally millions of people using older or slower processors. I'm sure they would wholeheartedly disagree.

**** I'm still using a e6600. It runs everything I need. There is no point in me upgrading until I can't run software I want with the performance I'd like to have.

Now were she to build a nice cheap rig now, and spend something like 500-600. In the future she would need to upgrade a whole whopping 3 parts, CPU, Mem, and mobo all of which will cost loads less and save her a ton of money.

It is a known fact that it is cheaper to go mainstream every 2-3 years rather than ultra high end every 5. It just doesn't make sense for what the OP needs.

Remember this isn't your computer, and the op isn't you. ****, she wants to run Fallout 3, name me a single Core 2 chip that would have trouble running it!
__________________
If I help you with something, you think I'm the bomb, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the star under my post.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
aspire is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 10:04 PM   #78 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 555
Default Re: Back and still no Rig lolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire.comptech View Post
**** I'm still using a e6600. It runs everything I need.

First off this little thing made things clear, so because YOU are on it still, you think its fine, for me?


I am not a 'light' gamer, and pi.ss on you for assuming so, I am a hardcore b-eep online gaming freak and proud of it.

Fallout 3 was a guideline, so was the OTHER games I mentioned, but you only seem to remember 1. Crysis was another, or did you just pass that in your little "ha she don't need any of this!" rant?

Here's how I see it. Go your way, spend 600 now, buy a decentish rig to play games. In 2 years pay for new Mobo, CPU, RAM , prices will drop but I doubt by a ton. So lets say those 3 parts will come to about 400 dollars. Ok so now in a 2 year span I have 1 and a half computers, spending about 1,000 dollars. WTF am I supposed to do with the Q6600 since now its 2 years in the future and everyone and their dog has better and won't buy them? That would mean finishing another computer just to have a secondary, because ain't no one gonna buy or resell them, they are already losing their edge, and 2 years from now I bet they will be today's P4- yea they work, yea they can OC to do typical things, but ain't no one bragging about owning one.

So now I dish another 300 or so bucks into building that second rig, and decide with the new techs I should go full out on the "good" rig. Now the prices are off. 1,000 spent so far, 300 for finishing the last, thats 1300, lets put 100 into shipping for whatever reason, thats 1,400 bucks.... this is 1,600ish.. NOW... and High quality, sure I don't have ANOTHER computer laying around to mess with.. but I kinda do.... its sitting next to me right now being used as a shelf.


In a nutshell... I ain't spending 600 now to make a shelf later.
You also seem to forget the heavy music and movie editing as well as Game Production (as Iam workin on my own game) which will take an incredible load on the CPU RAM and GPU....


Also... it's impossible to make a q6600 computer for 600 dollars considering how much I need, not just RAM, CPU, Mobo, HDD, PSU, Case and GPU, but also OS and MONITOR. Monitor alone is about 200, OS another 100, theres 300 bucks, so how you building a q6600 on 300 bucks?
Gothch1ck is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #79 (permalink)
Hard Gay Nahalem! Fooo!
 
NosBoost300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bellflower, CA
Posts: 10,154
Send a message via AIM to NosBoost300
Default Re: Back and still no Rig lolz

everyone pipedown

just pick up:
i7 920
gigabyte ex58 ud5
3x2gb g.skill ddr1600
4870/gtx260 core 216

1 150gb raptor and a 1tb western digital



that'll make one happy camper!
__________________
Current Build:
Intel 3770k @ 4.4 GHZ | Galaxy GTX 770 SLi | 16 GB G.Skill Sniper | ASrock z77 Extreme4
2xSamung 840pro 128GB in Raid | 2x1TB Seagate | Antec 750 Watt GamerSeries
Media Build:
Intel Core i3 3220 | Galaxy GTX 650 | 8 GB Corsair Vengeance | ASrock B75M | Samsung 840 120GB
NosBoost300 is offline  
Old 12-04-2008, 10:15 PM   #80 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru
 
aspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 5,308
Default Re: Back and still no Rig lolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothch1ck View Post
First off this little thing made things clear, so because YOU are on it still, you think its fine, for me?

I am not a 'light' gamer, and pi.ss on you for assuming so, I am a hardcore b-eep online gaming freak and proud of it.

Fallout 3 was a guideline, so was the OTHER games I mentioned, but you only seem to remember 1. Crysis was another, or did you just pass that in your little "ha she don't need any of this!" rant?

Here's how I see it. Go your way, spend 600 now, buy a decentish rig to play games. In 2 years pay for new Mobo, CPU, RAM , prices will drop but I doubt by a ton. So lets say those 3 parts will come to about 400 dollars. Ok so now in a 2 year span I have 1 and a half computers, spending about 1,000 dollars. WTF am I supposed to do with the Q6600 since now its 2 years in the future and everyone and their dog has better and won't buy them? That would mean finishing another computer just to have a secondary, because ain't no one gonna buy or resell them, they are already losing their edge, and 2 years from now I bet they will be today's P4- yea they work, yea they can OC to do typical things, but ain't no one bragging about owning one.

So now I dish another 300 or so bucks into building that second rig, and decide with the new techs I should go full out on the "good" rig. Now the prices are off. 1,000 spent so far, 300 for finishing the last, thats 1300, lets put 100 into shipping for whatever reason, thats 1,400 bucks.... this is 1,600ish.. NOW... and High quality, sure I don't have ANOTHER computer laying around to mess with.. but I kinda do.... its sitting next to me right now being used as a shelf.

In a nutshell... I ain't spending 600 now to make a shelf later.
You also seem to forget the heavy music and movie editing as well as Game Production (as Iam workin on my own game) which will take an incredible load on the CPU RAM and GPU....

Also... it's impossible to make a q6600 computer for 600 dollars considering how much I need, not just RAM, CPU, Mobo, HDD, PSU, Case and GPU, but also OS and MONITOR. Monitor alone is about 200, OS another 100, theres 300 bucks, so how you building a q6600 on 300 bucks?
I can tell when my help isn't wanted.

No sense wasting my time on your build.
__________________

__________________
If I help you with something, you think I'm the bomb, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the star under my post.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
aspire is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.