Back and still no Rig lolz

Status
Not open for further replies.
GPU is GPU lolz

sides, wether or not I start with 2 GPU isn't the issue, I will some day go dual.

And from a pent 3 , 2.4GHz with corrupt sectors of HDD< a failing PSU, Ram that out dates your love life and such, either are a HUGE step forward and WILL be noticed lol. But I might as well "prepare for the future" while I got a little spending cash and make this rig last as long as the one I am currently on. (hopefully)

Sure this can't play games in full resolution or even max graphics, but it plays them, and lag free. That's all I care about toward the end of the computer's use.

Be nice for some links ... these are very unfamiliar grounds for me (case etc)

Time for some sleep, baby sit in the mornin then I should be back on to check more. I think Iama go 1TB HDD however... they are decently cheap. and 32MB cache

try playing crysis with no lag xD

well a HDD tends to slow down and become laggy if you use more then 50% of the drive space, so I don't plan to fill up more then 1/2 the listed capacity.

And I will be doing a lot of photo, music, and video editing, so space is gonna be used.

Cases:

are any of these fantastically good? each one has a feature that I liked...
Newegg.com - Thermaltake Xaser VI VG4000BNS Black / Red Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - ABS Aplus ABS-CS-EL Diablo Black 0.8mm SECC ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

and all blue led will be going red.. lolz

Complications:
Power Supply (everything)
Harddrive (one I wanted sold out, don't understand RAID really)
GPU (one I wanted is sold out)
Monitor (Difficulty determining which ones are good, due to customer reviews being rather... well... retarded.)

Reading reviews on newegg is getting more difficult to determine if the product is faulty or if simply the user was a moron. WTF is raid5? and why would you need/use it? Several HDD have been listed to die after config, a couple reviews mention using Raid5 and other Raid settings, could that be the cause of the harddrives failure? User Error? (Seagate Barricuda 1+TB models with the .11 )

Monitors are the same way, every LCD has some bleed on a pure black screen (top and bottom usually due to the set up) but every review contains "it has horrible bleed" but no description of how bad, where, or typical bleed (the top and bottom on black screen) all the marketing crud has confused me rather then enlightened me, using different terms to describe the same parts.

So let me ask the Pros here, wtf monitor do I NEED? Iam looking for 22+ inch, around or under 300 US (including shipping) Computers primary use is games, MMORPGs, FPS, and other "high graphical" types, will play Diablo 3 like crazy, and that is intensive on the graphics. Might buy a TV tuner and watch TV on it, want nice crisp image and very clear fonts/text for reading. Do not need the insane1900xwhatever resolution recommended, have played on 1024x768 for years with most games going to default 800x600. Bigger is not better here for me.
21-22 inch WIDE max, as my desk has an alcove, I can trim some if its a tad bigger, and it gets bigger in the back so I can install it sideways then turn it if I need, but don't go insane on the width. possibly up to 26 inches wide, but keep in mind the Height can only be 19.5 inches, and thats almost NO room for air flow (but LCD don't really need Top air flow, just back and side) so W up to 26 inches, H only 19.7 inches, and 19.7 is including stand and all that- not a fraction more will fit.

Going to go babysit, but then I plan to use MS paint to make a virtual build to see if connections all fit and that stuff, it helps me visualize if I need another connector or a different PSU or whatever to make sure everything can be plugged in, and I scale it to make sure everything fits right inside. Wish there was a program that was already developed for "virtual building" however... be nice to have more accurate ways.

if you are going to RAID 0 drives, get 2 small ones for your OS and maybe swap file. seagate makes an 80gb that is like 40 bucks.
IT IS A TERRIBLE IDEA TO RAID 0 YOUR MAIN DATA DRIVES UNLESS EVERYTHING ON THEM IS EXPENDABLE. i cant say this enough.

RAID 5 stripes parity information and data across 3 OR MORE drives. IT IS A MUCH BETTER RAID OPTION THAN RAID 0 FOR DATA DRIVES.
you would use RAID 5 because it is an excellent balance of performance (excellent read times, fair write times), fault tolerance (you can lose a drive and still be OK), high-capacity and its efficient storage capabilities.

if you are going to RAID 0 drives, get 2 small ones for your OS and maybe swap file. seagate makes an 80gb that is like 40 bucks.
IT IS A TERRIBLE IDEA TO RAID 0 YOUR MAIN DATA DRIVES UNLESS EVERYTHING ON THEM IS EXPENDABLE. i cant say this enough.

RAID 5 stripes parity information and data across 3 OR MORE drives. IT IS A MUCH BETTER RAID OPTION THAN RAID 0 FOR DATA DRIVES.
you would use RAID 5 because it is an excellent balance of performance (excellent read times, fair write times), fault tolerance (you can lose a drive and still be OK), high-capacity and its efficient storage capabilities.

^^^I agree completely.

@OP: There is no point applying RAID 0 to 1TB drives. If you must use RAID 0 get smaller drives.

mk so is it still a better idea to set your OS on another drive then from your main data (games etc) ?

Trying to figure out my best options here due to all the new goodies.

I will be having at least 1 TB space in the end (figuring that leaves me with 500GB usable space 450GB after windows/swap/main files)

I could buy 2 1.5TB drives...
or 3 1TB drives...

but I don't want to partition if its a bad Idea to make a small drive for Windows/swap off the 1/1.5TB drive

^^thats what i do personally.
i have 2 160gb WDs and i have a 50 gb partition on one for my OS and main drivers. the rest of that drive i use for swap file and miscellaneous stuff (pics, music, etc). the 2nd drive i use solely for games.
this way, if my OS corrupts i can re-install without losing ANY of my data, as all my drivers are installed on the OS partition but are stored on the misc partition of the same drive. i've had to re-install my OS and all my programs too many times to do it any other way. i swear by it.
if i was to do RAID 0 (and i am considering it), i would do like i suggested and either buy 2 x 7200.10 80gb drives (very fast in RAID 0) and install my OS only on it, or buy a small SSD drive (faster at reads than RAID 0).

Iam just confused now... is it possible to have 2 small drives run in Raid 0 and still have a huge drive for games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom