ATI hd3650 or hd3850 for this spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

askquest1on

In Runtime
ive been told that the hd3850 would just bottleneck my computer was wondering if the hd3650 would be a better idea with my spec.
AMD sempron 2.00ghz CPU
2gb ram DDR PC3200
300watt PSU (planning on buying one with my video card)
current video card: ATI9200

I've seen your other post about this and ur misusing the term bottleneck again.
Bottlenecking means something is holding you back. An analogy is, you and a friend are running together and you have to stay together. You can run 20mph, but you're friend can only run 15 mph, in order to stay together you both run at 15mph. Youre friend would be bottlenecking you because you have the potential to run 20mph.

So with your situation. The hd3850 has the potential to run at a given performance, but your cpu needs to be fast enough to keep up. In your case it may not be, therefore your cpu will be holding back the potential capabilities of you gfx card. The cpu is bottlenecking the potential of the gfx card. Not the other way around.

LOL. at first i thought it was a joke or something, a 3850 would bottleneck a sempron@2ghz, and a 3650 better than a 3850? But thanks for clarifying bkolk.

Anyways, if prices are similar, go for the 3850. I don't know what prices you're looking at, but maybe a 4670 may be more appropriate as its more powerful than both of those and quite cheap. $65 at newegg. Unless of course you're looking at sub $50 prices, then maybe your options are better.

I don't know what prices you're looking at, but maybe a 4670 may be more appropriate as its more powerful than both of those and quite cheap

He didnt mention it here, but i believe in his other post he specified it had to be agp.

Of the 3850 or 3650, prices are similar enough to go with the 3850.

ah yes, didn't catch that.. he's upgrading from an ati9200, so it must be agp.

In that case yes, get the 3850!

to be honest I would just save the money that you would spend on a GPU and PSU and put it towards a new system... It isn't very cost efficient to upgrade an AGP system at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom