ATI 4870 1GB + Power Supply Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mliraved

Baseband Member
First, to clarify, I'm working on my first self-built PC as parts come. So far, I've gotten the case, mobo, CPU, RAM, and GPU; I don't have my power supply yet but should be getting it on Friday.

This is it:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg lists the following under "Connectors":
1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 12V(4/8Pin)
8 x peripheral
8 x SATA
2 x Floppy
4 x PCI-E

Now, my GPU brought what looks like 2 3-pin molex cables (I don't know if that's what they're technically called, but it looks like a 4-pin molex with a pin missing). This is my first build, so I've no idea if I'm going to be able to hook it up to the PSU without buying separate adapters. I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks,
M

The adapter that came with your gpu is a converter to change 2 4 pin molex into a 6 pin pci-e connector. You will not need them. I have the same psu and it has everything you need and more.

So this is the end that goes into the PSU or the end that goes into the GPU?
tp750w_2pcie.jpg

Right now I have it going into the GPU. Luckily I haven't plugged anything into power so I can just unplug it if it's wrong. :p

that goes to the GPU, so yes. your PSU aint modular so you dont need to plug anything except for the powercord.
Oh, wow. So those cables are extraneous? I don't need to plug the GPU directly to the PSU? If not, out of curiosity, where does the GPU get power from?

You psu will have 4 6+2 pin pci-e cables comming out of it. 2 of those cables will be plugged into your gpu. That is how it will get power.

txcables2-8.jpg

There is also a shot of the 4+4 12v plug that will be used on the motherboard along with the 24pin.

^ hefe beat me to it :) but pretty much what he said

ok, you need to plug the 2 pci-e connectors in to the GPU (the one's your picture) and the PSU should allready have the 2 pci-e connectors connected to it.

the PSU gets it's power from the power cord, which you plug in to a outlet in your house.

Thanks for explaining! I'm now stuck trying to take out the PCI-E adapters I plugged into the GPU... somehow it seems like they're glued on or something....

They may have a little clip on the side you need to pull out. On the four pci-e ones in the pic above one is backwards and you can see the clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom