Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3.0gHz) or Athlon 64 X2 6400+ (3.2GHz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpfan18

Baseband Member
I'm thinking about upgrading the processor on my computer and am unsure on which processor I should get. All I do on this computer is game. The X2 6000 (3.0 ghz) costs 159.99 and comes with a fan and heat sink, while the X2 6400 (3.2 ghz) costs 179.99 and DOESN'T come with a fan or heat sink.

Is there a huge difference in performance between these two processors? Is it worth it to shell out the extra cash for the 6400 and a cooling unit?

Also I'm upgrading from a single core 3800+ (2.4 ghz). Will performance in games be noticeable? The reason for the upgrade is because newer game like tabula rasa and crysis are maxing out my processor usage...

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail

i'd get a black edition 5000 and overclock the crap out of it. if i didnt have a honey of a 3600 i would buy one.
it will hit x2 6000 speed probably no problem and then some (it has an unlocked multiplier like an FX chip). plus its a brisbane and it will run cooler.
and its like 30 bucks cheaper than a 6000. total no-brainer dude an unlocked multi is nice.

interesting... I've never overclocked before. Is it difficult? Is it risky? I have an older mobo will that be a problem?

Depends on the mobo but as long as you can adjust the fsb and multiplyer you should be able to get a good result. Being able to adjust the cpu voltage and motherboard voltage will be nice though.

Overclocking is easy and safe until you start trying to squeeze every last mhz out.

overclocking is pretty straight forward nowdays.. especially for an automatic moderate overclock. Details can be learnt in a day or so just by reading some stuff on the web. I would say its only risky if you push too hard but generally you dont need to push it that much, something sensible.

what mobo have you got?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom